Canton firefighters say electrical wiring in roof caused chapel fire, SLU president to speak
CANTON -- Canton Volunteer Fire Department says a problem with electrical wiring caused the recent blaze that destroyed the bell tower in St. Lawrence University's Gunnison Memorial Chapel.
University President William L. Fox will speak today at 5 p.m. on the Creasy Commencement Commons in recognition of the event, which lead to the collapse of the steeple.The Laurentian Singers will sing "Chapel Bells" during the event, and other campus choirs will perform as well.
The fire occurred Sunday around 5 a.m. and drew firefighters from several towns around the county. Later that night the tower collapsed as a result of the fire damage and high winds.
The university has promised to restore the tower, though details have not been announced.