It’s going to be a cold New Year’s Eve tonight, will stay cold on New Year’s Day, and be even colder Wednsday night, according to the National Weather Service forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley.
The predicted low tonight is about minus 3, but with wind gusts as high as 22 mph, it will feel a lot colder.
The high Wednesday will make into the single digits above zero before the temperature plunges into the teens below zero Wednesday night, with wind chill values into the minus 30s.
Today’s snow showers are expected to end early this evening, and we should see a fair amount of sun Wednesday, according to NWS.
Thursday, there is a 50 percent chance of snow during the day with a high not expected to get above zero.
You can follow weather developments here and around the world from the NorthCountryNow.com Weather Page.
The NWS forecast for the St. Lawrence River Valley and the northwestern Adirondacks:
• Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -3. West wind 3 to 8 mph. Winds could gust as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• New Year's Day: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 2. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind around 6 mph becoming north in the afternoon.
• Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -16. Wind chill values as low as -36. Northeast wind 6 to 11 mph.
• Thursday: A 50 percent chance of snow after 8am. Cloudy and cold, with a high near -1. Northeast wind 11 to 14 mph. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
• Thursday Night: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -11. Northeast wind 7 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
• Friday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -4. North wind around 7 mph.
• Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -16. West wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable.
• Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14. South wind around 6 mph.
• Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. South wind 6 to 8 mph.
• Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Southwest wind around 9 mph.
• Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Monday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 24. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon.