‘Best seats’ in SUNY Canton’s Roos House named for ’49 alumnus
CANTON -- SUNY Canton alumnus John L. Halford of Gouverneur will be forever associated with some of the best seats in the new Roos House.
The 1949 graduate made a generous donation to the athletic center earlier this semester, securing the right to name the John L. Halford Sr. Alumni Suite. The exclusive elevated seating area overlooks the new ice rink and will be used to host alumni receptions and important game-day functions.David M. Gerlach,vice president for advancement, said the couple has “helped many students obtain their SUNY Canton education and they are an inspiration to others. Now the Halford name will be permanently displayed in one of the nicest and most visible areas on campus."
His generosity previously led the College to name the lobby at the intersection of the Faculty Office Building, Wicks Hall, and Cook Science Center in his honor.
Halford is a proud World War II veteran who completed high school and attended SUNY Canton (then called the Agricultural and Technical Institute) after his time overseas.
After graduating from the air conditioning technology program, he moved to Long Island and worked for Brookhaven National Laboratory as a technology specialist. He later became Suffolk County maintenance supervisor of buildings and grounds.
He is a lifetime member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Gouverneur and a Mason of more than 50 years. He is a supporter of the E.J. Noble Hospital, Hermon-DeKalb Senior Citizens Center, and the Gouverneur Senior Citizens Center. He also volunteers for the Richville Library and serves on the SUNY Canton Foundation Board of Directors.