Yale jumps on Saints for 6-1 Game One win
Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 12:43 am

Yale University's big guns came out firing and its defense put a muzzle on the Saint trio of Kyle Flanagan, Greg Carey and Jeremy Wick as Yale took a 1-0 lead in its best of three ECAC quarterfinal series with St. Lawrence with a 6-1 win over the Saints.

The trio of Kenny Agostino, Jesse Root and Andrew Miller accounted for four goals and 10 points in a dominating Yale performance. The Saints, 18-15-4 were outshot 48-13, and will be out to keep their 2012-13 season alive when they play the Bulldogs in game two of the series Saturday at 7 p.m.

If there was any rust from the layoff created by the first round bye for Yale, it was shaken off early as the Bulldogs came out flying and outshot the Saints 17-5 in the opening 20 minutes of the game. Weninger stood up to the early onslaught and the Saints grabbed a 1-0 lead on their second shot of the game.

Defenseman George Hughes walked in from the point when a Yale player tripped and Hughes fed Tommy Thompson, who was all alone at the side of the net. Thompson put his fifth of the year over the shoulder of Yale goalie Jeff Malcolm with Gunnar Hughes also assisting at 7:35.

Yale came back to tie it just over three minutes later when senior wing Andrew Miller broke into the Saint zone and snapped a shot toward net which deflected off a Saint defender's stick and over Weninger's shoulder at 10:40. The Bulldogs took the lead at 17:03 when defenseman Gus Young rocketed a shot from the deep center slot which went wide, but the puck bounced off the end boards and into the blue and senior wing Antoine Laganiere scored his 13th of the year on the stuff-in.

Kyle MacDonald took over in net to start the third period for the Saints, but did not make a save as Yale tacked on two more goals. Agostino scored his 15th of the year into a wide open net as MacDonald was caught out after trying to play the puck just 19 seconds in and Miller walked in all alone, faked and tucked the puck into the net at 3:31.

Senior David Grilk took over for the rest of the game and made 14 saves without allowing a goal in his first appearance of the year. Yale did have the only two power plays in the game in the third period as the two teams played the first 40 minutes without a penalty.

Yale's Malcolm had an easy night of it with four saves in each period for a total of 12 and the Saints had a goal waved off in the third after video review showed it was batted in by hand.