SLU women's hockey rally past Uconn, earn weekend split
Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 8:38 pm

The St. Lawrence University women's hockey team battled back from a 2-0 deficit on Sunday afternoon, as the Saints scored a pair of third period goals to defeat the University of Connecticut by the score of 3-2 in Storrs, CT. 

The victory was the first for St. Lawrence in the 2010-11 season, and gave the Scarlet and an opening weekend split after a loss at Providence on Saturday.  Meanwhile, the Huskies fall to 1-2-0 on the young campaign.

"I thought we gave another solid effort today," said St. Lawrence head coach Chris Wells.  "It was nice to get a good result for the six solid periods of hockey we played this weekend."

The Saints, who outshot Providence by a sound margin on Saturday, piled up a 17-3 advantage in the first period against UConn.  However, it was the Huskies that ended the frame leading 2-0.  Stephanie Raithby beat St. Lawrence rookie goaltender Caitlyn Lahonen only 1:21 into regulation with assists going to Jocelyn Slattery and Jenny Saxon.  Then, with Alexandra Garcia turning in 17 saves between the pipes, the Huskies made it 2-0 with 44 seconds left in the period behind a goal from Jennifer Chaisson. 

St. Lawrence continued to dominate the scoring chances in the second period and managed to cut its deficit to one at 2-1 before the end of the stanza.  Senior Lauren Brozowski scored her first goal of the season at 12:16 to get the Saints on the scoreboard.  Sophomore Michelle Ng got the play started, as she fired a shot towards goal that redirected off of senior assistant captain Kirsten Roach to Brozowski, who finished the play to pull the visitors to within a goal.

St. Lawrence, which held a 30-6 advantage in shots on goal through two periods, evened the scoring at 2-2 early in the third period on the power play.  Senior assistant captain Karell Emard pounced on a rebound in front of Garcia and scored her first goal of the season to tie the game at 5:53 of the final frame.  Sophomore Brooke Fernandez picked up her second assist of the weekend on the game-tying goal.

The Huskies would begin to pick up their offense throughout the final period, and finished with an 8-7 advantage in shots on goal in the stanza.  Lahonen was up to the task, though, stopping each of the shots she faced.  Her play allowed the Saints to complete their rally behind a game-winning score by sophomore Kelly Sabatine at 11:44.  First-year student Dayle Wilkinson connected with junior Vanessa Emond, who laced a shot that beat Garcia but hit the pipe.  The loose puck bounced back into play where Sabatine was waiting to score the go-ahead goal that allowed the Scarlet and Brown to celebrate a 3-2 win.

The Saints finished the game with a 37-14 advantage in shots on goal and won the special teams battle, going 1-for-3 on the power play while holding UConn without a power play tally (0-for-2).  Lahonen earned her first collegiate victory behind a 12-save performance, while Garcia suffered the loss despite making 34 stops.

St. Lawrence will be in action again next weekend in a home-and-home non-conference series with Clarkson University.  The Saints will head to Cheel Arena on Friday, October 15 for a 3:30pm game, before making their 2010-11 home debut against the Golden Knights at Appleton Arena on Saturday, October 16 at 2:00pm.