Saints women's tennis team edges Haverford 5-4 in Spring Break finale
The St. Lawrence University women's tennis team came out on the winning side of a 5-4 decision on Thursday, defeating the Atlantic South Region's 18th ranked team Haverford College in Orlando, FL. The Saints, ranked 15th in the Northeast, improve to 3-3 on the season, while the Fords fall to 2-2.
Haverford jumped out to a 2-0 lead with victories at first and third doubles, but St. Lawrence's Elizabeth Geer and Morgan McNeal defeated their opponents at second doubles, 8-4, to bring the score to 2-1.In singles play, the Saints took a 3-2 lead when Shannon Murphy and Laura Goldhar handily defeated their opponents at five and six, respectively.
Haverford's Caitlin Gallagher, ranked 20th in the Atlantic South in singles, evened the score at 3-3 with a victory over Elkie Vandenbeemt at one (6-1, 6-0), but Geer won at four (6-2, 6-3), and then Olivia Arroyo clinched the victory for the Saints with a win over Robyn Himelstein at three (6-4, 6-3).
The St. Lawrence women's tennis team concludes its spring trip competition and will be back in action up north when it opens Liberty League play. The Saints will travel to Skidmore and Rensselaer on March 23 and 24 before hosting a series of matches against Nazareth, Bard and Union the first weekend in April.
St. Lawrence University 5, Haverford 4
Mar 14, 2013 at Orlando, FL
1. C. Gallagher (HAV) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) 6-1, 6-0
2. A. Ferrara (HAV) def. Morgan McNeal (SLU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) def. R. Himelstein (HAV) 6-4, 6-3
4. Elizabeth Geer (SLU) def. C. Tong (HAV) 6-2, 6-3
5. Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. K. Andersen (HAV) 6-1, 6-0
6. Laura Goldhar (SLU) def. R. Torg (HAV) 6-1, 6-1
1. C. Gallagher/A. Ferrara (HAV) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt/Shannon Murphy (SLU) 8-4
2. Elizabeth Geer/Morgan McNeal (SLU) def. R. Himelstein/R. Tong (HAV) 8-4
3. C. Tong/K. Andersen (HAV) def. Samantha Miller/Laura Goldhar (SLU) 8-3
St. Lawrence University 3-3; Regional ranking #15