Saints women's tennis falls to No. 20 Skidmore 8-1
Despite downing No. 20 Skidmore's top doubles team, the St. Lawrence women's tennis team was swept in singles play and eventually fell 8-1 to the Thoroughbreds on Sunday afternoon.
The lone win of the day came from the pair of Elkie Vandenbeemt and Morgan McNeal, as they downed Skidmore's Lee Ford and Alex Smith 8-6.Skidmore handled the Saints in straight sets at every position in singles, but Vandenbeemt and first-year Georgia Comber both pushed their opponents to a tiebreak. Vandenbeemt was edged by Melissa Hirsch 7-6 (7-0), 6-4, while Comber fell to Monique Carlson 6-0, 7-6 (7-4). Comber was down 3-0 in the second set with Carlson before storming back to force the tiebreak.
Skidmore 8, St. Lawrence 1
1. Elkie Vandenbeemt/Morgan McNeal (SLU) def. Lee Ford/Alex Smith (Skidmore) 8-6
2. Melissa Hirsch/Madeline Benn (Skidmore) def. Georgia Comber/Anna Young (SLU) 8-5
3. Yumi Karlshoej/Monique Carlson (Skidmore) def. Hallie Young/Samantha Miller (SLU) 9-7
1. Melissa Hirsch (Skidmore) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-4
2. Lee Ford (Skidmore) def. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Madeline Benn (Skidmore) def. Morgan McNeal (SLU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Monique Carlson (Skidmore) def. Georgia Comber (SLU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Zoe Valella (Skidmore) def. Anna Young (SLU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Rachel Plevinsky (Skidmore) def. Hallie Young (SLU) 6-0, 6-1