Saints women tennis season ends with 5-2 loss to Vassar in semifinals
The St. Lawrence women's tennis team saw its season come to an end with a heartbreaking 5-2 loss to Vassar in the Liberty League semifinals. The Brewers advance to face Skidmore in the championship match.
Vassar had built a 2-1 lead following doubles, meaning the Saints needed four singles wins to earn the decision and advance to the championship match against Skidmore. Elkie Vandenbeemt and Morgan McNeal picked up win at first doubles, edging Samantha Schapiro and Shayna Becker 8-6.All but one of the singles matches required a third set, as the Saints took the first set in three of the singles matches, but only one – Anna Young – would rebound from dropping the second set to claim a victory. Young downed Lauren Stauffer 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 at the fifth spot for the Saints second and final point of the evening.
St. Lawrence finished with an overall record of 16-4 on the year and will return all of this season's team members in 2014-15.
#29 Vassar 5, St. Lawrence 2
1. Samantha Schapiro (VCWT) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt (WSLU) 7-5, 6-2
2. Emily Hallewell (VCWT) def. Olivia Arroyo (WSLU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Winnie Yeates (VCWT) def. Morgan McNeal (WSLU) 0-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Georgia Comber (WSLU) vs. Lindsay Kantor (VCWT) 6-7 (4-6), 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
5. Anna Young (WSLU) def. Lauren Stauffer (VCWT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
6. Hallie Young (WSLU) vs. Shayna Becker (VCWT) 2-3, unfinished
1. Elkie Vandenbeemt/Morgan McNeal (WSLU) def. Samantha Schapiro/Shayna Becker (VCWT) 8-6
2. Emily Hallewell/Winnie Yeates (VCWT) def. Georgia Comber/Anna Young (WSLU) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Lauren Stauffer/Kelsey Van Noy (VCWT) def. Samantha Miller/Hallie Young (WSLU) 8-3