The St. Lawrence University women's tennis team, ranked #17 in the Northeast, improved to 8-5 on the season with a 6-3 victory over Liberty League opponent William Smith (8-4) in Geneva, NY on Sunday afternoon. St. Lawrence will celebrate "senior day" on April 21 when it hosts RIT at 10:00 am.
St. Lawrence took a 2-1 lead over the regionally-ranked #19 Herons after claiming wins at first and third doubles. Elkie Vandenbeemt and Shannon Murphy beat Teru Greene and Hallsey Leighton, 8-5, at one, and Sami Miller and Olivia Arroyo blanked Katie Drinkwater and Kathleen Kennedy at three, 8-0. William Smith's Casey Nicoletti and Remy Raevsky edged Morgan McNeal and Elizabeth Geer 8-6 at two.
In singles play, McNeal and Murphy earned victories at two and five to give the Saints a 4-1 lead. McNeal defeated Nicoletti 6-2, 6-3 and Murphy beat Sydney Arsenault, 6-2, 6-3. Vandenbeemt followed with a victory in the one spot over Greene, 6-1, 6-4, to clinch the match for the Saints.
Geer picked up a hard-fought win over Haley Wolf at four, 7-5, 4-6 (13-11) to round out the scoring for St. Lawrence.
At three, Arroyo split sets with Leighton before falling, 7-5, 3-6, 10-3, and Laura Goldhar suffered a 6-1, 6-2 loss at six to Charlotte Federowicz.
St. Lawrence 6, William Smith 3
Apr 14, 2013 at Geneva, N.Y. (Bristol Field House)
1. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) def. Teru Greene (WSC) 6-1, 6-4
2. Morgan McNeal (SLU) def. Casey Nicoletti (WSC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Hallsey Leighton (WSC) def. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) 5-7, 6-3, 10-3
4. Elizabeth Geer (SLU) def. Haley Wolf (WSC) 7-5, 4-6, 13-11
5. Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. Sydney Arsenault (WSC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Charlotte Federowicz (WSC) def. Laura Goldhar (SLU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Elkie Vandenbeemt/Shannon Murphy (SLU) def. Teru Greene/Hallsey Leighton (WSC) 8-5
2. Casey Nicoletti/Remy Raevsky (WSC) def. Morgan McNeal/Elizabeth Geer (SLU) 8-6
3. Samantha Miller/Olivia Arroyo (SLU) def. Katie Drinkwater/Kathleen Kennedy (WSC) 8-0
St. Lawrence 8-5; Regional ranking #17
William Smith 8-4; Regional ranking #19