The St. Lawrence University men's tennis team cruised past St. Michael's, 9-0, in a dual match in the Newell Field House on Sunday afternoon. The Saints improve to 2-0 on the season and were led by sophomore Robert Schmitz who didn't lose a match all day.
St. Lawrence opened up to a 3-0 lead after doubles play and didn't look back, handily defeating the Purple Knights in singles action.
Sophomore Rhonny Rosario teamed up with first-year student Elliot Solandt to beat Nick Bosco and Tom Brahm, 8-1, at first doubles, while John Megas and Tom Luchars downed Chris Allen and Hayden Steward, 8-3, at No. 2. Rob Schmitz and Kevin Frommer rounded out the Saints sweep in doubles, blanking Billy Wood and Sam Laves, 8-0, at No. 3.
At first singles, Rosario beat Bosco 6-2, 6-2 and Schmitz swept Wood 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2. John Megas earned his first dual match victory of the season, beating Brahm 6-0, 6-2 in the third spot.
Kevin Frommer followed at No. 4, beating Charlie Merry 6-1, 6-3, while Alan Shortz also earned his first dual match victory of the season at No. 5, downing Laves 6-4, 6-0. Solandt rounded out the sweep for the Saints in the sixth spot, beating Matczak 6-4, 6-2.
St. Lawrence will be back in action next weekend as the Saints play host to Ithaca College on Sunday, March 2 in the Newell Field House at 1 p.m.
St. Lawrence 9, St. Michael's 0
1. Rhonny Rosario (SLU) def. Nick Bosco 6-2, 6-2
2. Rob Schmitz (SLU) def. Billy Wood 6-0, 6-0
3. John Megas (SLU) def. Tom Brahm 6-0, 6-2
4. Kevin Frommer (SLU) def. Charlie Merry 6-1, 6-3
5. Alan Shortz (SLU) def. Sam Laves 6-4, 6-0
6. Elliot Solandt (SLU) def. Michael Matczak 6-4, 6-2
1. Rhonny Rosario/Elliot Solandt (SLU) def. Nick Bosco/Tom Brahm 8-1
2. John Megas/Tom Luchars (SLU) def. Chris Allen/Hayden Steward 8-3
3. Rob Schmitz/Kevin Frommer (SLU) def. Billy Wood/Sam Laves 8-0