Saints men's hockey edged by No. 3/4 Cornell, 1-0
Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 8:33 am

Netminder Arthur Brey and the Saints held No. 3/4 Cornell scoreless for nearly 48 minutes, but Jared Fiegl broke through for the Big Red at 7:56 of the third to edge the St. Lawrence men's hockey team 1-0 on Saturday night in Appleton Arena.

It is the Saints sixth one-goal loss in the second half of the season and eighth on the year, as they drop to 7-21-2 and 3-14-1 in conference games. Cornell, on the other hand, improves to 20-3-2 and 14-2-2 against ECAC Hockey teams.

The records, however, were not reflected in the play on Saturday night, as fans were treated to a fast-paced, back-and-forth game, which was fairly even through the first 40 minutes.

Early in the second period, Ryan Lough nearly gave the Saints a 1-0 lead on a breakaway, but put a shot he intended for the top left corner just wide.

Cornell's Matthew Galajda made one of his 16 saves on the night with less than two minutes to play in the middle frame off an odd-man rush with Joe Sullivan and Lough. Sullivan elected to keep it himself and put a shot towards the far post, but Galajda swatted it down with his glove and the Big Red were able to clear.

Fiegl's goal in the first half of third came off on a second chance opportunity at the edge of the crease, when he roofed a shot over Brey who was still down after making the initial stop on the Cornell forward. Dwyer Tschantz and Trevor Yates assisted on the play for the Big Red. It was the first goal for the weekend for the Big Red, after skating to a 0-0 tie at Clarkson on Friday night.

With 4:56 to play, Carson Gicewicz was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct, putting the Saints on the penalty kill for the remainder of the game. They managed to hold Cornell to just three shots in the final minutes and earned four rushes into the Cornell zone, including one from Mike Marnell and Ryan Garvey.

Marnell fed Garvey at the blue line and the Oakville, Ontario native split the defense before putting a backhand on net, but Galajda made the stop with his right pad to keep Cornell in front.

The Saints also had an opportunity with just over 30 seconds to play with an offensive zone draw coming out of a timeout. Alex Gilmour won it back to Marnell on the point and Marnell sent a shot into traffic with was tipped by Keenan Suthers, but it sailed just wide of the far post.

Cornell finished with a 30-16 edge in shots, including 15 in the third period after managing just four against the Saints in the second.

Brey made 29 saves in the loss for the Saints, with a number coming on redirects from the edge of the crease.

Galajda stopped 16 for the Big Red to earn his eighth shutout of the season.

The Saints will make their final regular season road trip to Harvard and Dartmouth next weekend.