The St. Lawrence University men's tennis team edged regionally-ranked #20 Hobart 6-3 in Geneva, NY on Sunday. The Saints improve to 10-5 on the season and will celebrate "senior day" on April 21 when they host RIT.
St. Lawrence took a 2-1 lead by taking second and third doubles. Rob Schmitz and John Megas beat Luke DeLuccia and Sam DeLuccia 8-4 at two, while Rhonny Rosario and Thomas Luchars defeated Ben Robinson and Joseph Sanders 8-2 at three. Michael Hayden and Paul Barrett lost a tough 9-7 decision to Bruce Grant and Michael Fields at first doubles.
In singles play, Barrett was the first off court with a 6-2, 6-1 win over L. DeLuccia at five. Hobart's Bruce Grant earned a 6-2, 6-1 win over Schmitz at three to bring the match score to 4-2, but Hayden clinched the victory for the Saints by beating S. DeLuccia 6-3, 6-3.
Hobart's Grant defeated Megas at two, 6-4, 6-1 before Matt Burke earned a 6-3, 6-2 win at six to close the 6-3 win for the Saints.
St. Lawrence University 6, Hobart 3
Apr 14, 2013 at Geneva, N.Y. (Bristol Field House)
1. Michael Hayden (MSLU) def. Sam DeLuccia (HOB) 6-3, 6-3
2. Bruce Grant (HOB) def. John Megas (MSLU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Michael Fields (HOB) def. Robert Schmitz (MSLU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Rhonny Rosario (MSLU) def. Ben Robinson (HOB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Paul Barrett (MSLU) def. Luke DeLuccia (HOB) 6-2, 6-1
6. Matt Burke (MSLU) def. Henry Smith (HOB) 6-3, 6-2
1. Bruce Grant/Michael Fields (HOB) def. Michael Hayden/Paul Barrett (MSLU) 9-7
2. Robert Schmitz/John Megas (MSLU) def. Luke DeLuccia/Sam DeLuccia (HOB) 8-4
3. Rhonny Rosario/Thomas Luchars (MSLU) def. Ben Robinson/Joseph Sanders (HOB) 8-2
St. Lawrence University 10-5
Hobart 3-12; Regional ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3,4,1,2,6)