The St. Lawrence University men's tennis team won its third straight match, sweeping visiting Liberty League opponent Union 9-0 in the Newell Field House on Sunday morning. The Saints move to 9-4 this season and will travel to Rochester and Hobart next weekend for dual matches.
All three of St. Lawrence's doubles tandems earned victories as the Saints opened to a 3-0 lead. Tom Timpone and Thomas Luchars picked up an 8-4 victory over Mike Donadio and Andrew Schwartz at three to start things off. John Megas and Rhonny Rosario followed with an 8-3 win over AJ Laurencio and Spencer Fontein at two, and then Michael Hayden and Paul Barrett finished off TJ Moor and Grant Zaccareo, 8-3, at one for the Saints.
In singles action, Matt Burke was the first off court as he cruised past Donadio at five by the scores of 6-1, 6-0. Megas followed at two, clinching the Saints' victory with a 7-6 (2), 6-1 win over Zaccareo.
Rosario topped Laurencio at three, 6-3, 6-1, to give the Saints a 6-0 lead. Hayden battled back from a set down to defeat Moor at one, 2-6, 6-2, 6-0.
Barrett followed suit, splitting sets with Fontein at four before picking up the win in the tie breaker (5-7, 6-4, 10-6). Alan Shortz rounded out the Saints' scoring, beating Schwartz at six by the scores of 6-3, 6-4.
St. Lawrence University 9, Union College 0
Apr 07, 2013 at St. Lawrence University (Newell Field House)
1. Michael Hayden (MSLU) def. TJ Moor (UNION) 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. John Megas (MSLU) def. Grant Zaccareo (UNION) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
3. Rhonny Rosario (MSLU) def. AJ Laurencio (UNION) 6-3, 6-1
4. Paul Barrett (MSLU) def. Spencer Fontein (UNION) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Matt Burke (MSLU) def. Mike Donadio (UNION) 6-1, 6-0
6. Alan Shortz (MSLU) def. Andrew Schwartz (UNION) 6-3, 6-4
1. Michael Hayden/Paul Barrett (MSLU) def. TJ Moor/Grant Zaccareo (UNION) 8-3
2. John Megas/Rhonny Rosario (MSLU) def. AJ Laurencio/Spencer Fontein (UNION) 8-3
3. Tom Timpone/Thomas Luchars (MSLU) def. Mike Donadio/Andrew Schwartz (UNION) 8-4
Union College 3-4
St. Lawrence University 9-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,2,3,1,4,6)