Princeton holds off Saints for 5-3 win
Friday, January 28, 2011 - 10:26 pm

Senior defenseman Taylor Fedun scored two goals and Princeton University improved to 8-1-1 in its last 10 games with a 5-3 ECAC Hockey victory at St. Lawrence University's Appleton Arena Friday night.

Princeton, ranked 19th nationally, improves to 13-6-1 overall and 8-4-1 in league play while St. Lawrence falls to 7-13-4, 3-9-0 and is 1-6-0 in its last seven league games.

The Saints were playing their first home game since Dec. 18 and making just the second home appearance in a span of 75 days after a set of 11 road games in the 12 games since Nov. 13. SLU cut a 4-1 Princeton lead to a single goal with goals to end the second period and start the third, but Princeton's Andrew Calof finished off a two-on-one with his fourth of the year to ice the win with 6:32 to play.

The Saints pulled their goaltender for an extra attacker on a late power play and had some scoring chances, but Princeton goalie Mike Condon was able to hold them off for the win.

"The guys just have to keep their heads up and keep working," said Saint coach Joe Marsh. "They played hard and they played against one of the best teams in the league. We did a lot of things well out there tonight, but just couldn't come away with a win."

Princeton converted on a five-on-three power play just six seconds after the Saints were called for the second penalty with senior defenseman Taylor Fedun scoring his fifth of the season with a shot off the crossbar. Andrew Calof won the draw following the second Saint penalty and the puck went to Derrick Pallas, who relayed it to Fedun who scored at 13:33. The Tigers and Fedun made it a 2-0 game just over three minutes later as Fedun picked up a rebound of a shot by Matt Farris and tucked it into the open side of the net at 16:56.

The Saints cut the lead to 2-1 when sophomore defenseman Jordan Dewey scored his first of the season on a power play shot from the left point at 5:32, but Princeton came back with two goals of its own to take a 4-1 lead. Freshman Andrew Ammon scored his fifth of the year shorthanded at 9:49 when his goal stood after the video review failed to operate on what appeared to be a kicked in goal, and senior Mike Kramer scored his eighth of the year at 15:26, one-timing a goal mouth pass by Matt Arhontas past Saint starting goalie Matt Weninger. SLU did cut the lead to 4-2 with 37 seconds to go in the second when he picked up a rebound of a shot by Greg Carey, went behind the net and banked it in off the goaltender.

St. Lawrence then made it interesting just 43 seconds into the third period as Jared Keller took the puck behind the net and sent it out in front to senior wing Nick Pitsikoulis who scored his fifth of the season, putting the puck between Tiger goalie Mike Condon's pad and the post.

The Saints were pressuring when Mike Kramer broke the puck out of the zone and fed Calof, who beat Saint backup goalie Robby Moss on the glove side from point blank range at 13:28 to make it a 5-3 game.

Condon finished with 29 saves for the Tigers while Weninger had 13 saves and Moss 10 for the Saints, who outshot Princeton 32-28.