No. 11 Dutchmen tally past No. 16 Saints men's lacrosse, 13-10
Sunday, March 30, 2014 - 8:57 am

The nationally-ranked No. 16 St. Lawrence University men's lacrosse team owned a 7-4 halftime lead in Schenectady, NY over No. 11 Union College on Saturday. However, the Dutchmen responded with a six-goal third quarter en route to a 13-10 victory over the Saints.

Rookie attackman Conor Healey scored a game-high four goals for St. Lawrence (5-2, 1-1), while goaltender Nick Ford made 14 saves. Union (7-1, 1-0) had four players score two goals as the Dutchmen finished with a 43-35 advantage in shots and a 36-26 edge in ground balls. Stefan Basile made nine saves for the home team to earn the win.

"Union deserved that win today. It was a game of runs and unfortunately we didn't have the answer to their big third quarter," said St. Lawrence head coach Mike Mahoney. "We will regroup and get ready for the second half of the season."

Jeremy Vautour opened the scoring only 2:27 into the first quarter for a 1-0 St. Lawrence lead, but Union's defense stiffened and didn't allow another goal in the frame. The defensive effort allowed the Dutchmen to rattle off four consecutive goals over the first and second quarters to build a 4-1 lead. After Paul Alberti and Adam Rosenthal gave Union a 2-1 lead after one, Nick Wright and Alberti opened the second quarter scoring for the 4-1 lead.

St. Lawrence would respond with one of its most impressive runs of the season, scoring six goals in a span of 9:20 to take a 7-4 lead into halftime. Healey scored three straight goals in 5:45 to tie the score at 4-4, while Luke DiLisio and Pierson Fowler tallied back-to-back goals only 47 seconds apart for a 6-4 lead. Charlie Duprey's goal with 1:27 left capped the first half scoring to put the Saints ahead 7-4.

Union regrouped at the break and flexed its muscle in the third quarter with six straight goals to reclaim the lead at 10-7. Despite trailing 7-6 with 4:00 minutes left, the Dutchmen scored four times in the final minutes to swing all of the momentum in their favor. Jake Quinn tied it at 7-7 with 3:53 left in the quarter, while Rosenthal put the home team back on top 8-7 minutes later. Gregory and Tyler Stanton then delivered the daggers with goals only 12 seconds apart with under 30 seconds to play in the period for a 10-7 lead.

Needing a run in the fourth quarter, the Saints were unable to put one together as the Dutchmen answered each time St. Lawrence pulled one closer. Healey, Jennings and Tommy Hovey each scored goals in the period, but Union also tallied three goals to secure the 13-10 victory.

St. Lawrence will look to bounce back on Wednesday, April 2 when the team heads to Plattsburgh State for a non-conference game against the Cardinals at 5:00pm.