Lough's PPG helps Saints men's hockey force Game Three
Sunday, March 4, 2018 - 9:00 am

Senior Ryan Lough scored 13 seconds into a power play in the third period to put the St. Lawrence men's hockey team in front for good, as the Saints went on to beat Dartmouth 4-2 Saturday night to force a third game in their first-round playoff series in Hanover, New Hampshire.

Cade Gleekel scored his first collegiate goal in the win, while Mike Marnell and Keenan Suthers also added goals for the Saints. In addition, netminder Arthur Brey made 26 saves to snap a six-game slide for St. Lawrence.

Dartmouth jumped out to a 1-0 lead with a goal from Ryan Blankemeier just 2:32 into the first period, but Gleekel pulled the Saints even in the latter half of the frame to send the teams into the first intermission tied at 1-1.

It was an all-rookie scoring line for the Saints on Gleekel's goal as Bo Hanson and Jacob Nielsen set up the Golden Valley, Minnesota native for a shot from the right circle that ricocheted off a Dartmouth defender before beating Big Green goaltender Devin Buffalo.

Gleekel is the second Saints player to score his first collegiate goal in Thompson Arena this season joining Jacob Nielsen who scored in the regular season game in Hanover.

Early in the second period, Marnell gave the Saints a 2-1 lead with a breakaway goal after he split the defense and beat Buffalo on the glove side; just minutes after Buffalo stopped him on another breakaway bid. Michael Ederer assisted on the play.

With the teams skating four aside in the final minute of the middle frame Dartmouth capitalized on a turnover at the St. Lawrence blue line as River Rymsha beat Brey to tie the game at 2-2 at the 19:29 mark.

The Saints came out strong in the third, however, and Lough cashed in with the game-winning goal at the 9:53 mark to fully swing momentum towards the Scarlet and Brown.

After winning the draw in the Dartmouth zone, Nolan Gluchowski and Philip Alftberg passed point to point before setting up Lough for a shot on the half wall. His initial attempt was blocked by Brendan Less who fell to the ice, but Lough buried the rebound high on the blocker side for the 3-2 lead.

Dartmouth pulled Buffalo with just under two minutes remaining and St. Lawrence had two chances at the empty net go just wide before Suthers buried a shot from the neutral zone for the Saints fourth and final goal of the game.

Dartmouth finished with a 28-22 edge in shots, though shots were even through the final 20 minutes at six apiece. Buffalo made 18 saves for the Big Green in the loss.

With the win, the Saints improve to 8-26-2 overall on the season, while Dartmouth dips below .500 at 14-15-2.

Game three is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Sunday night in Thompson Arena.