Knights fall to Quinnipiac at Cheel
Saturday, November 17, 2012 - 2:01 am

Playing at home for the first time since October 27, the Clarkson University Hockey team could not keep its unbeaten streak going as Quinnipiac knocked off the Golden Knights 5-2 before 2,098 fans in ECAC Hockey action at Cheel Arena on Friday night.

Clarkson, which saw its unbeaten stretch come to a close at five games (1-0-4), suffered its first loss in league play to go to 1-1-1 in ECAC Hockey and 1-5-4 overall. The Knights will host Princeton on Saturday at 7:00 p.m. in their final conference game at home in the 2012 portion of the schedule.

Quinnipiac, which won its third straight game, led throughout the contest, holding leads of 2-0 after the first period and 4-1 through 20 minutes of play. The Bobcats, who play at St. Lawrence on Saturday are perfect in ECAC Hockey action at 3-0, and stand at 6-3-1 overall.

Junior right wing Jordan Samuels-Thomas, a transfer from Bowling Green, led the Bobcats with two goals.

Quinnipiac had the better of the play in the first outshooting the Knights 9-6 en route to a 2-0 lead. The Bobcats opened the scoring with a goal by Matthew Peca, who knocked in a rebound off a shot by Kellen Jones from the right circle at 4:52. Quinnipiac struck again when Samuels-Thomas circled around behind the net and connected for his second goal of the year at 11:46.

Clarkson got on the scoreboard to start the second period when senior defenseman Nik Pokulok (Vaudreuil-Dorin, QUE) scored his fifth career goal and first since March, 2011. Pokulok took a pass along the blueline from freshman Pat Megannety (Oakville, ONT) and fired in a shot from the top of the left circle at 3:21. Sophomore defenseman James Howden (Edgeley, SASK) also assisted.

Quinnipiac answered back, scoring two power-play goals late in man-advantage situations to hold a 4-1 lead through two periods. Zach Davies tallied his first of the season on a low shot from the blueline with just four seconds left in a power play at 6:02. The Bobcats made it 4-1 at 13:06 with a power-play marker from Samuels-Thomas, who scored on a rising wrist shot just under the crossbar with three seconds left on the man-advantage.

Defenseman Mike Dalhuisen connected on a blast from the blueline at 3:10 of the final frame to give Quinnipiac a 5-1 lead.

Clarkson closed out the scoring with freshman defenseman Paul Geiger’s (Stouffville, ONT) first collegiate goal, a power-play tally with 20 seconds remaining in regulation. Juniors Allan McPherson (Kinburn, ONT) and Jarrett Burton (Echo Bay, ONT) assisted.

Quinnipiac held a slight 21-20 edge in shots. The Bobcats went 2-of-5 on the power play, while Clarkson was 1-of-7 with the man-advantage.

Freshman Greg Lewis (Mars, PA) made his fourth consecutive start in the Knights’ goal and made 13 saves on 18 shots through 44 minutes. Senior Cody Rosen (Kingston, ONT) came on in relief and turned aside all three shots he faced.

Eric Hartzell made 18 saves for Quinnipiac.