Knights fall In overtime to Union, 71-66
Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 8:18 am

Potsdam, NY – A 3-point attempt from Liam Ellis in overtime went wide left on the Clarkson University Men's Basketball team's final possession, and the Golden Knights came up short in the extra sessions, falling 71-66 in overtime to Union on Friday evening at Alumni Gymnasium.

The Golden Knights fell to 5-8 overall and 1-5 in the Liberty League, while Union moved to 6-5 and 2-3. Clarkson faces Ithaca on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm.

Union's Kevin Weckworth poured in 40 points with an impressive individual performance, shooting 15-for-24 and 5-for-8 from beyond the 3-point arc, despite entering the game with season-long field goal percentages of 36.3% overall and only 25.0% from beyond the 3-point arc. The Knights had no answer for Weckworth in the second half, as he scored 19 points in the second 20-minute stretch and seven more points in overtime.

The first half between the two teams was fairly non-descript, as neither team enjoyed much flow to the game. Both teams had their pocks, with Clarkson committing eight turnovers and Union shooting just 1-for-12 from beyond the 3-point arc.

In the second half, it appeared as if Clarkson would pull away midway through period, with a 3-pointer from Joe Lucas and a 3-point play the old-fashioned way from Matt Higgins, giving the Knights and eight-point advantage (48-40) at 10:48. Still up by seven eight minutes later, Clarkson saw its lead dwindle with a jumper and 3-pointer from Weckworth. At the other end, the Knights missed what would have been a put away shot, while Union scored on an offensive rebound with 30 seconds to go. On its final possession of regulation, Clarkson went to Liam Ellis, but the junior guard was swarmed once he got into the paint and the Knights never were able to get a shot off.

In overtime, Weckworth hit a key 3-pointer at the 2:37 mark to give Union a four-point lead, but the Knights answered immediately on Matt Higgins 3-pointer at the other end. However, that was the last basket that the Knights could get, going 0-for-3 on their last attempts down the stretch as Union put the game way with a pair of free throws from Greg King with only eight-tenths of a second remaining.

Liam Ellis led Clarkson with 20 points and chipped in seven rebounds, while Higgins finished just one point shy of his fourth consecutive 20-point game, tallying 19 points. Weckworth scored his 40, well over half of Union's output, while King finished with 12. Outside of Weckworth, Union shot just 9-for-42 overall and 1-for-16 from the 3-point arc.