Clarkson suffers 3-2 loss to Brown
Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:06 pm

Despite skating to a pair of leads in the first period, the Clarkson University Hockey team could not hold its advantage as Brown University rallied for a 3-2 ECAC Hockey victory before 2,121 fans at Cheel Arena on Friday night.

The Golden Knights, who suffered their fourth consecutive loss and fifth one-goal setback of the season, will look to get back on the winning track when they host 14th-ranked Yale on Saturday. Clarkson falls to 4-11-5 overall and to 3-4-1 in ECAC Hockey play.

In a fast-paced first period, Clarkson held the lead twice against the Bears (5-6-4, 1-3-4), but both times the visitors came back to tie, forcing a 2-2 deadlock through the opening 20 minutes.

The Knights opened the scoring just 2:03 in when junior Matt Zarbo (Grand Island, NY) picked up a loose puck in the Clarkson zone skated along the left boards and fired in a shot from the top of the left circle for an unassisted score and his second goal of the season.

Brown came back at 7:47 as Ryan Jacobson swept in a loose puck at the top of the Clarkson crease with Matt Harlow and Mark Naclerio picking up the assists.

Sophomore defenseman Sam Labrecque (Granby, QUE) put the Green and Gold back on top with his third goal of the year when he took a pass out of the corner from freshman Jeff DiNallo (Aurora, ONT) and tallied from the left circle at 11:54. Freshman Christian Finch (Claremont, ONT) started the play with a pass to DiNallo at the backboards.

Once again, however, the Bears came back to tie with a power-play goal from Jacobson at 17:41. Matt Wahl and Matt Lorito assisted on the goal, which came with just 30 seconds remaining on the only power-play opportunity of the game.

Brown took its first lead of the game with the game-winning goal with just 45.4 seconds remaining in the second period. Harlow converted a pass from Naclerio at the side of the net for his second goal of the season. Wahl recorded his second assist of the night, helping the Bears to their first league victory of the season.

Clarkson outshot the Bears 36-33. The Knights were whistled for the only penalty of the game at 16:11 of the first period, which Brown converted for a power-play goal. This was the first time since March, 1962 that a Clarkson opponent was not called for a penalty.

Freshman Greg Lewis (Mars, PA) posted 30 saves, while Brown’s Anthony Borelli made 34 stops.