Clarkson falls to Niagara
Friday, October 26, 2012 - 11:08 pm

Despite a 44-shot effort, the Clarkson University Hockey team was denied its first win of the season as Niagara University, behind goaltender Carsen Chubak, was able to hold off the Golden Knights to gain a 2-0 victory on the road before 2,502 fans at Cheel Arena Friday night.

At 0-4, Clarkson will look to enter the win column on Saturday night when it faces off against Niagara (2-2-2) on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. to close out the weekend series.

The Knights recorded their first 40-shot game since last February, but Chubak was able to hand Clarkson’s its first shutout loss at home since October 2010 with a strong outing. He finished with 19 saves in the third as the Green and Gold swarmed the net in a bid to get on the scoreboard.

Clarkson’s freshman goaltender Greg Lewis (Mars, PA) also enjoyed a solid night between the pipes with 19 saves.

The Knights were scoreless in six power-play opportunities, while the Purple Eagles went 1-of-4 with the man-advantage.

In a fast paced first period, both teams had several intense flurries around the opponent’s net, but the goaltenders were solid to keep it 0-0 after the opening 20 minutes. Lewis posted eight saves in the period, while Chubak made 13 first-period stops.

The Purple Eagles took advantage of three consecutive power plays early in the middle frame to score the only goal they would need. Late in Niagara’s first man-advantage opportunity, Dan Kolenda picked up a rebound off the back boards and slipped a shot just underneath Lewis for the game’s first goal at 8:14. Patrick Divjak and Kevin Ryan set up the power-play goal from the blueline to earn assists.

The Knights had their opportunities late in the period with a lengthy two-man advantage, but could not capitalize.

Niagara added an insurance goal early in the third when Marc Zanette flipped a short-side shot up and over Lewis’ shoulder at 3:07. Iuorio Giancari and Ryan Murphy picked up assists.

Clarkson pulled Lewis for the extra attacker with under three minutes to play, but could not find a way to get a shot past Chubak.