Clarkson battles back for 3-3 tie against St. Lawrence
Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 11:24 pm

With a three-goal rally in the final 12 minutes of regulation the Clarkson University Hockey team was able to pull even with archrival St. Lawrence and gain a 3-3 tie in ECAC Hockey action before 3,811 fans at Cheel Arena on Saturday night.

Freshman Pat Megannety (Oakville, ONT) scored twice, junior defenseman Alex Boak (Norwood, NY) tallied his first goal of the season and rookie netminder Greg Lewis (Mars, PA) posted 20 saves as the Golden Knights picked up their first point in league play since defeating the Saints 4-1 in Canton on December 5. Clarkson extended its unbeaten streak against St. Lawrence to six games (5-0-1) in ECAC Hockey play and has gone 7-1-1 against its archrival over the past three seasons, including 2-0-1 this season.

The Knights stand at 4-12-6 overall and own a 3-5-2 league mark. Clarkson takes to the road for the first time in 2013 when it plays at Harvard and Dartmouth this coming weekend.

Clarkson found itself in a deep hole after St. Lawrence’s captain Kyle Flanagan tallied at 6:12 of the third period to give the Saints a 3-0 lead. The Knights, however, began their rally by finally converting on their much maligned power play.

At 8:53, Megannety converted in front off a pass by freshman Simon Bessette (St. Jean, QUE) for Clarkson’s first power-play goal since November 30, snapping a 0-of-26 drought with the man-advantage. Junior Allan McPherson (Kinburn, ONT) also assisted.

With their new-found momentum, the Knights continued to control play and pulled to within one when Boak knocked in a rebound off a shot by blueline partner Sam Labrecque (Granby, QUE) at 12:50. Freshman T.J. Moor (Lake St. Louis, MO) also assisted.

With just 2:44 remaining in regulation, Megannety came through with the equalizer, knocking in a pass from Moor in front for his seventh goal of the season. Freshman defenseman Paul Geiger (Stouffville, ONT) also assisted.

Clarkson outshot the Saints 39-23. Both teams went 1-of-6 on the power play.

In a penalty-filled first period neither team was able to covert on its power-play chances through a scoreless opening 20 minutes. Clarkson, which went on the first man-advantage just 39 seconds in, was 0-of-3 on the power play in the period, but excelled on the penalty kill in the stanza. The Knights shut down all five of the Saints' opportunities, including 1:40 of a two-man advantage by St. Lawrence.

The penalties continue in the second period when the Saints were whistled just 76 seconds, but that was the only infraction called in the period. Clarkson was unable to convert on its fourth power-play opportunity of the contest.

The Saints broke the deadlock midway through the second period. St. Lawrence defenseman George Hughes was able to win a loose puck at center ice over to Flanagan. St. Lawrence’s leading playmaker sent a pass to linemate Greg Carey who found his way behind the Clarkson defense. Carey, the Saints’ leading scorer broke in alone on Lewis and fired in his team-high 14th goal of the season at 9:40 to give the visitors a 1-0 lead through two periods.

Jeremy Wick put St. Lawrence on top 2-0 with a power-play goal at 1:22 of the third.