Carey's goal wins Saints Exhibition Game in overtime
Saturday, October 6, 2012 - 11:23 pm

Junior wing Greg Carey finished off a two-on-one rush with the winning goal 1:29 into overtime as St. Lawrence University won an exhibition hockey game with Carleton University of Ottawa 3-2 in its first game action of the 2012-13 season at Appleton Arena Saturday night.

Carey took a pass from sophomore wing Chris Martin with the teams skating four-on-four under an optional NCAA overtime format for non-league games and buried a shot inside the near post on Raven goalie Francis Dupuis to give the Saints the exhibition win. None of the stats from the game count nor does it go in either team's record.

It was, however, a good test for the Saints, who trailed through two periods despite playing some solid hockey. New head coach Greg Carvel played nearly his entire roster in the game and got a good look at a trio of freshmen who should help the Saints when the season officially opens with a pair of games at Western Michigan Friday and Saturday.

Ryan Berard opened the scoring for Carleton 3:40 into the game when he popped the puck up in the air after Saint starting goalie Matt Weninger made the initial save on a two-on-none rush. Andrew Glass took the initial shot after Tim Billingsley sent him away on the odd-man rush and while Weninger stopped it, Berard got a stick on the rebound and it hopped into the cage over Weninger's shoulder.

The Saint junior was unbeatable the rest of the way, making nine saves in a 40 minute stint before giving way to senior backup David Grilk, who played the third period and the overtime, making ten saves.

Raven goalie Francis Dupuis kept his club in the game with 24 saves, but the Saints, who had some great chances go just wide or hit the crossbar, finally cashed in to tie the game at 8:43 of the third. Martin circled in front and tipped a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle by defenseman Justin Baker past Dupuis with Kyle Flanagan picking up an assist on the play as well. Sophomore Gunnar Hughes made it a 2-1 game on a similar tip play as Pat Raley gunned the puck toward net from the sideboards at 14:02 and Hughes redirected it through Dupuis' pads.

Carleton needed just 19 seconds to tie it, winning the faceoff and breaking in on a rush with Joe Pleckaitis tucking the puck past Grilk to make it a 2-2 game.

Grilk kept it that way with a big blocker save on Tyler Taylor with just over three minutes to play and the two teams played the rest of regulation without any other serious bids.

Martin caught Carleton in a line change to set up the winning goal in the four-on-four situation after Grilk had stopped an early shot by the Ravens.