Brewers top Saints in women's tennis conference semifinals
The #3 seeded St. Lawrence University women's tennis team battled against #2 Vassar College but would fall 5-1 to the Brewers in the Liberty League Tournament semifinal match on Saturday afternoon. Vassar advances to the tournament finals tomorrow morning against #1 Skidmore at 10:00am. Meanwhile, the Saints fall to 10-6 overall as their season comes to an end.
Vassar took a 3-0 lead after sweeping doubles. Lindsay Kantor and Kelsey Van Noy beat Olivia Arroyo and Sami Miller at three, 8-4, and were followed by Winnie Yeates and Lauren Stauffer's second doubles win, 8-2. Ava Sadeghi and Sam Schapiro slipped past Elkie Vandenbeemt and Shannon Murphy, 9-7, in the top spot to complete the doubles sweep.Van Noy picked up the fourth point for the Brewers as she defeated Laura Goldhar at sixth singles, 6-4, 6-0. St. Lawrence's Geer cut into the deficit with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Kantor at four, but Sadeghi pulled out a three set victory over Vandenbeemt at one, 2-6, 6-0, 6-4, to clinch the victory for her team.
Vassar College 5, St. Lawrence University 1
May 04, 2013
1. Ava Sadeghi (VASSAR) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt (SLU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
2. Samantha Schapiro (VASSAR) vs. Morgan McNeal (SLU) 4-6, 6-0, 1-1, unfinished
3. Winifred Yeates (VASSAR) vs. Olivia Arroyo (SLU) 6-1, 3-6, 2-2, unfinished
4. Elizabeth Geer (SLU) def. Lindsay Kantor (VASSAR) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lauren Stauffer (VASSAR) vs. Shannon Murphy (SLU) 4-6, 3-3, unfinished
6. Kelsey Van Noy (VASSAR) def. Laura Goldhar (SLU) 6-4, 6-0
1. Ava Sadeghi/Samantha Schapiro (VASSAR) def. Elkie Vandenbeemt/Shannon Murphy (SLU) 9-7
2. Winifred Yeates/Lauren Stauffer (VASSAR) def. Morgan McNeal/Elizabeth Geer (SLU) 8-2
3. Lindsay Kantor/Kelsey Van Noy (VASSAR) def. Olivia Arroyo/Samantha Miller (SLU) 8-4