Bears capture Senior Day men's lax victory over Geneseo, 11-10
Saturday, April 20, 2013 - 11:40 pm

POTSDAM, N.Y.—The SUNY Potsdam men's lacrosse team (6-5, 2-2 SUNYAC) overcame a two-goal fourth quarter deficit and a an injury to starting goalie Stefan Sloma to defeat SUNY Geneseo (5-6, 2-2) 11-10 on Saturday afternoon.

Bears junior attackman Rob Kunz matched a career-high six points with three goals and three assists. Potsdam freshman attackman Ed Doherty scored two goals, including the game-winner with 1:31 left. Junior goalie Ryan Duffy made nine saves in relief of Sloma to earn his first collegiate victory.

Kunz scored the first two goals of the contest with assists from junior midfielders Jeff Seager and Jared Flath at 11:47 and 11:40, respectively. Just over a minute later, sophomore attackman Brent Lawless got the Blue Knights on the board with his first of three on the day. Flath and senior midfielder Pat Morrill scored the next two to build a 4-1 Bears advantage with 4:40 left in the opening quarter. Geneseo senior midfielder Tim Burgess closed the period with two straight and got the Blue Knights within one.

Sophomore midfielder Max Yehl tied the game at four all at 11:28 of the second quarter. Two minutes later with the momentum sliding in Geneseo's favor, Sloma took a chance to spark his team. The senior goalie carried the ball the length of the field and fired a shot past his counterpart Ryan Zaremba to put Potsdam back in front 5-4. However, after he scored, Sloma was knocked from the game with a late check to the head by Blue Knight sophomore defender Dom Infanzon. Geneseo was then able to kill off the ensuing three-minute penalty. Lawless struck again with just 24 seconds remaining in the half to tie the score after a pretty pass from sophomore attackman Steven Cregan.

Cregan and Lawless opened the third period with goals, giving Geneseo their first lead of the contest at 7-5 at the 9:46 mark. The teams alternated the next four goals. Bears freshman attackman Matt Kennedy struck at 9:01, but sophomore attackman Sam Thompson answered at 6:52. Junior midfielder Derek Frost made it 8-7 on a helper from Kunz at 3:32, but Thompson capped the third quarter scoring on a tally with 14 seconds left and the Blue Knights led 9-7 after 45 minutes.

Potsdam responded with a 3-0 run at the start of the final stanza. Morrill scored at 13:23, followed by Kunz's third on a perfect pass from senior captain Brady Fremont to tie the score at 9-9. A minute later Doherty reached back for a Kunz pass and rifled it past Zaremba to give Potsdam a one-goal edge. At 5:32, sophomore midfielder Steve Aziz knotted the score again with Geneseo's final goal of the day. With 91 seconds remaining, Kunz found Doherty in front of the net again for the decisive marker.

Zaremba finished with nine saves in the defeat. The Blue Knights outshot Potsdam 43-32 and edged the Bears 13-11 in faceoffs, but Potsdam narrowly won the ground ball battle at 36-29.

The Bears are back in action on Wednesday, April 24, when they head to Plattsburgh for a 7 p.m. contest with heavy playoff implications.