Potsdam student awarded gold key at art competition
Catherine J. Brownell with her gold key winning photograph entitled "Trapped In Wonderland," a photograph that she took of her sister Clare for a class assignment.
POTSDAM -- Catherine Brownell, a junior at Potsdam High School, was awarded a gold key in the 2013 Scholastic Art Competition in Photography for her photo entitled "Trapped In Wonderland."
Catherine is a Photography I student with instructor Patricia Varney. Several other students in Varney’s class received silver keys and honorable mentions. Of the more than 4,500 works of art submitted, only approximately 240, or 5 percent, are awarded gold keys.
Catherine's work will be on display with the other winners through Mar. 1 in the Whitney Applied Technology Center at Onondaga Community College. She will then go on to the National Awards Competition in New York City.
The competition features art from students throughout central New York. The exhibit features work from 90 junior and senior high schools in 13 New York counties.
The following Potsdam high school students won awards at the competition:
• Catherine Brownell - Gold Key (Trapped In Wonderland)
• Amanda Dillion - Silver Key (Red Barn)
• Maddie Drechsel - Silver Key (Galeries Lafayette)
• Marissa Ellis - Silver Key (Modern Day Marilyn Monroe)
• Marissa Ellis - Silver Key (Vine and Eye)
• Sam Lee - Silver Key (Smokescreen)
• Sam Lee - Silver Key (The Lion In Winter)
• Miranda Mangual - Silver Key (The Girl With The Dragonfly Tattoo)
• Catherine Brownell - Honorable Mention (Girl In The Woods)
• Catherine Brownell - Honorable Mention (All Smiles)
• Sam Lee - Honorable Mention (My Fair Lady)
• Emily Wanamaker - Honorable Mention (This Is The End)