New police officers graduate from SUNY Canton's Law Enforcement Academy
CANTON -- SUNY Canton's St. Lawrence County-David Sullivan Law Enforcement Academy recently celebrated its 23rd graduation ceremony, recognizing its 2018 class of 13 cadets.
They are:• Gregory J. Anderson, who began a career as a St. Lawrence County Sheriff's deputy. Anderson won a defensive tactics award, a firearms award and an emergency vehicle operations award.
• Clifford S. Barnes, who began a career as a St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Police officer.
• Tewasherake Barnes, who began a career as a St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Police officer.
• Joshua Belile, who completed pre-employment training. Belile received an award for earning the highest GPA in the academy and graduated from the college's Homeland Security program.
• Katherine Burnham, who began a career as a Norfolk Village Police officer. Burnham won the academy director's award for overall effort and also graduated from the college's Criminal Investigation program.
• Matthew T. Merria, who began a career as a St. Lawrence County Sheriff's deputy. Merria won a physical fitness award.
• Tylor G. Reynolds, who began a career as a Norwood Village Police officer. Reynolds served as the class vice president.
• Tylar J. Thomas, who began a career as a St. Regis Mohawk Tribal Police officer.
• Johnathan M. Ward, who began a career as a Norwood Village Police officer. Ward served as the class president and received the David Sullivan Best Overall Cadet award.
"It has been a tremendous honor and privilege to work with these individuals over the last several months," noted Academy Director Joseph W. Brown. "Always remember to serve your communities with dignity and respect. You will represent your agencies with integrity and dedication."
Brown also challenged the graduates to continue their training at every opportunity. "The job is always changing, and you must evolve with it," he said.
At the graduation ceremony, cadets are either sworn in as officers of their associated sponsoring agency or are acknowledged for their completion of pre-employment training.