Weekly workshops and classes planned at Canton Yoga Loft in March
CANTON -- March is an exciting month at the Yoga Loft, 17 Main St., with three specialty workshops and several new weekly classes.
• The workshop “Spring Tune Up, Yoga Style” with Master Teacher Allison Ulan of Ashtanga Yoga Montreal will take place Friday thru Sunday, March 17 -19. The event will cost $150 for the weekend, or $75 for one day. Register in advance with Sarah Scafidi-McGuire, 315-767-0927, [email protected]. The workshop schedule will be Friday, from 7:15-9:15 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. with a break for lunch. Cost of lunch is not included in the registration fee.Alison Ulan began movement awareness as a dancer, with a BFA in dance from the Juilliard School of Performing Arts. After discovering the benefits of yoga, she studied in Mysore, India, with Sri Patabi Jois, the original founder of Ashtanga Yoga.
She is also a Certified Ayurvedic Treatment Specialist and an ardent student of Vipassana meditation (IMS).
She has been featured in local and nation-wide media in both Canada and the US: CBC Radio, The New Yorker Magazine, The Montreal Gazette, The Edmonton Journal, The Calgary Herald, Yoga Mondo, Canadian Living, and Chatelaine.
• “Manifestation & Balance for Spring” with Lori Dye, life coach and yoga teacher, is scheduled for Sunday, March 12, from 2-4 p.m. The workshop costs $30 or 2 blocks on a class card. In preparation for the Spring Equinox (balancing moon and sun, day and night), we will move through a yoga sequence of grounding and balancing poses followed by relaxation.
This workshop does not require an established yoga practice. It is suitable for all levels of experience and stages of life. Half of this workshop is active (moving through yoga asanas) the other half will be done sitting down, with some writing exercises. Comfortable clothing should be worn.
• "Nourishing Your Senses: An intro to Ayurveda and Dinacharya” with Alison Brant is planned for March 25, from 1-3:30 p.m. The event costs $50 (which includes an $8 materials fee). Register by March 17 with Alison at 315-386-3040, [email protected].
Dinacharya is the Ayurvedic practice of self care. Like brushing your teeth and washing your face, these daily practices promote health and vitality. We experience our surroundings through the eyes, ears, nose, mouth and skin. Keeping them healthy and strong -- especially during seasonal transitions -- is important for overall health and longevity.
This workshop will include an introduction to the principals of Ayurveda and the doshas.
Several classes will start in March. They are:
• “Prenatal Yoga” with Sarah Oakley of MamaBirth Yoga, Wednesdays, from 5-6:15 p.m., begins March 1. Cost of the class will be a class card punch or $15 drop-in fee per session. Prenatal yoga is a beautiful and powerful way to honor your pregnancy as you prepare for a profound rite of passage -- birthing into motherhood. Yoga can reduce common discomforts of pregnancy while gently strengthening your body and opening your heart in preparation for labor, birth and motherhood, said a press release from the Yoga Loft.
• "Yoga-Pilates Blend: Core Strengthening and Stabilization" with Alison Brant. Wednesdays 6:30-7:30 p.m., starts March 1st. No class the third Wednesday of each month. Cost will be a class card punch or $15 drop-in fee per session.. This class combines isolated core strengthening exercises, dynamic yoga postures, and mid-range aerobic intensity. Exercises and intensity can be modified to suit each person's own ability level.
• "Yin-Yang Yoga" with Kelly Burnham, will be held Tuesdays, from 5-6:15 p.m. starting March 7. The cost will be a class card punch or $15 drop-in fee per session. The course will involve a dynamic blend of energizing yoga flow and grounding Yin yoga. Find balance between effort and ease as you strengthen muscles (Yang) and release tension (Yin) in joints and connective tissues.
Visit www.yoga-loft.org for more Yoga Loft information.