POTSDAM -- This spring and summer, the St. Lawrence County Arts Council (SLC Arts) will offer free information workshops about art funding opportunities available to North Country artists, municipalities, public libraries, and not-for-profit organizations.
SLC Arts offers three grant opportunities for artists, arts organizations, municipalities, and 501(c)3 non-profit organizations throughout St. Lawrence, Jefferson, and Lewis Counties.
Public Art Fellowships commission new, community-engaging works; Teaching Artists’ Fund encourages artists to partner with K-12 schools or community-based organizations to provide arts education projects; and Community Arts Grants fund public arts experiences and foster creative communities.
Eligible disciplines include but are not limited to music, visual arts, theater, dance, electronic media or film, and literary arts.
Grant-fundable expenses include: artists' fees for performing, teaching, or providing services; marketing & publicity costs; direct administrative expenses; project-related supplies and materials; project-related travel expenses; and project-related rentals of space and equipment.
The application deadline for all three grants is Sept. 15 for proposed projects that will take place Jan. 1, 2018-Dec. 31, 2018.
All first-time applicants are required to attend a workshop in the current year, prior to submitting an application; returning applicants are strongly encouraged to attend.
Workshops are free, and are scheduled throughout June, July and August in St. Lawrence, Jefferson, and Lewis counties.
It is requested that potential applicants register for workshops in advance. To do this, and to view the guidelines and applications for the programs, please visit www.slcartscouncil.org/grants.
For more information about grant opportunities through SLC Arts, please contact Alicia Murphy, Regrants & Community Engagement Coordinator, at 315-265-6860, or @slcartscouncil.org.
The following grant workshops are slated in St. Lawrence County:
• Thursday, June 1, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., St. Lawrence County Arts Council, 41 Elm Street, Room 125, Potsdam.
• Wednesday, June 21, 2-3:30 p.m., Massena Chamber of Commerce, 16 Church St.
• Monday, June 26, 3:30-5 p.m., Gouverneur Reading Room at the library there, 60 Church St.
• Wednesday, July 5, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., St. Lawrence County Arts Council, 41 Elm Street, Room 125, Potsdam.
• Monday, July 10, 3-4:30 p.m., Ogdensburg Public Library, 312 Washington St.
• Monday, July 17, 3-4:30 p.m., Otto’s Abode, 6 Hamele St., Wanakena.
• Saturday, Aug. 12, 10-11:30 a.m., St. Lawrence County Arts Council, 41 Elm St., Room 125, Potsdam.