Local scientists and university professors will take to the stage starting Sept. 11, for the "Science Cafe." Science Cafes bring together local university and college professors and townspeople in an informal setting, such as coffeehouses and pubs.
The speaker makes a short presentation about and then opens up the floor to discussion.
All Canton Science Cafes will take place Tuesdays at 7:15 p.m. in the Park View Common Room, above the Blackbird Café, 107 Main St. All Potsdam Science Cafes will take place Wednesday evenings at 7:15 p.m. in the Potsdam Civic Center Community Room, 2 Park St.
Here's a rundown of this fall's topics and speakers:
• The Technology of Luge Sleds, Sept. 11 in Potsdam and Sept. 17 in Canton.
• Crab Accounting: Reducing Dredge Impact on Fishery, Oct. 1 in Canton and Oct. 2 in Potsdam.
• Who Wrote That? The New Science of Stylometry, Oct. 15 in Canton and Oct. 16 in Potsdam.
• Venus and the Golden Ratio, Oct. 29 in Canton and Oct. 30 in Potsdam.
• No Pain, No Gain: How Distress Underlies Success, Nov. 19 in Canton and Nov. 20 in Potsdam.