Potsdam Rec’s summer programs run June 25-Aug. 3 with free swim lessons, kayak rentals, trip to Water Safari
POTSDAM -- The Potsdam Town and Village Recreation Program has announced its 2018 summer activities, including free swimming, swimming lessons, pre-school and youth programs with bus service, lifeguard training, kayak rentals and a field trip to Water Safari.
Registration for many of the programs is set for June 20 at Pine Street Arena.Here is a rundown of this summer’s activities:
• The beaches at Sandstoner Park, on Pine Street, and Postwood Park, in Hannawa Falls, are open daily for public swimming from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. every day through Aug. 26.
• Kayak rentals are available for two-hour sessions at $5 each, with life jackets and paddles supplied. A majority of the available kayaks are located at Postwood but arrangements can be made by calling 315-265-4030 for a larger group or to simply check availability on a specific day.
• The new "Kayak Shack" will soon be featured near the waterfront at Postwood for easier access, and the Recreation Department is the process of purchasing additional equipment, including youth-sized kayaks and paddleboards.
• American Red Cross Learn to Swim lessons for kids aged 3 and up in several levels of ability will be offered at Postwood Park Monday through Friday from June 25 to Aug. 3, except July 4, in either a 10 or 10:30 a.m. group, depending on the child’s ability and class size. Busing is available; see schedule below. This year they are asking for a $25 donation ($40 per family) for swim lessons. There will be “pre-swim” tests and swimming lessons sign-ups Sunday, June 24 between 2 and 4 p.m. at Postwood. If you are unable to attend, you can sign up your children at Sandstone Arena in Potsdam on June 20 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. or the first day of class at Postwood. For more information on swimming lessons, call the recreation office at 265-4030.
• The parent-tot swim program, for children one to three years with a parent, will meet at Pine Street Beach from 3:45 to 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday. This program will run June 25 through Aug. 3, with no class on July 4. Suggested donation is $25 per child or $40 for a family.
• Supervised Recreational Swimming, for children aged 7 and up, is from noon to 2:45 p.m. Monday through Friday at Postwood Park. Busing is available; see schedule below
• The Potsdam Summer Recreation Playground Program offers a summer pre-school and youth program at Pine Street Arena, Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 11 a.m., rain or shine, from June 25 through Aug. 3, except July 4. The suggested donation is $15 per child or $30 per family. The program provides games, crafts, and contests in a supervised environment for children, ages 3 to 6 in the pre-school program and ages 7 and up in the youth group. The recreation program aims to provide a casual environment in a supervised setting. There will be visitors from the Potsdam Fire Department, Police Department, and Rescue Squad, guest readers, and health and wellness, Positivity Project, and literacy activities throughout the summer. Registration and signed parental waivers are required. Pre-registration is June 20, 5 to 7:30 p.m. at Pine Street. Bus service is available. For more information, contact the Recreation Department at 265-4030.
• Bus service is offered for swimming and playground programs. Bus riders must be at least 4 years old, and must be escorted by a parent or other adult on the first day.
• The bus schedule: Potsdam Village Bus Run, leaves school garage at 8:15 a.m., turns around at Debra Drive, down Lawrence Avenue to Missouri Avenue, Grant Street and Main Street, up to Evergreen Park, returns to Pine Street arena. Children not attending the afternoon supervised recreational swim will take the bus home at 11:45 a.m. The West Potsdam Bus Run departs Pine Street Arena at 8:30 a.m., to U. S. Hwy. 11, to Morley Road, to Slab City to West Potsdam to the Madrid Road and then returns to Pine Street Arena. Children on the West Potsdam bus not attending the afternoon supervised recreational swim will be dropped back home on a bus leaving the Arena at 10:30 a.m. The Postwood Learn to Swim Program at Postwood bus run leaves Pine Street Arena at 9:30 and goes to Postwood Park. Students return to the Arena at 11:45 a.m. for parent pickup or transportation on the 11:45 a.m. bus run. The afternoon supervised Recreational Swim at Postwood bus run for children in the West Potsdam area will be picked up on the schedule beginning at 10:30 a.m. along the route described above. The 11:45 a.m. drop-off bus will pick up along Market Street, Evergreen Park, Grove Street, Potsdam High School, Clinton Street, Lawrence Avenue, Debra Drive and the Potsdam Public Library. At 2:30 p.m. a bus takes kids from Postwood Park to the arena for parent pickup or drop off along the village route. For more information about bus runs, call Recreation Director Tim Carey at 265-4030.
• Lifeguard training will be offered at Postwood Park Monday through Friday from 10:30 to 11:45 a.m. for six weeks June 25 through Aug. 3. The program is open to anyone age 15 by Aug. 1, 2017 who can swim 550 meters continuously. Cost is $250. Registration and payment are due by June 25. Pretesting will be held Sunday, June 24 at Postwood from 2 until 4 p.m.
• Private swim lessons are available for children, adults and people with special needs, for those wanting a more private setting to learn to swim. They are taught by American Red Cross certified instructors. Cost is $100 for six half-hour lessons. Call 265-4030 to make arrangements.
• A field trip to Water Safari at Enchanted Forest Monday, Aug. 6 is $40 per person. The bus will leave at 7:30 a.m. and return at about 8:30 p.m. To register, call 265-4030.
• Kayak rentals and lessons will be offered. There are five kayaks available to rent at each beach for $5 each for two hours from noon until 7 p.m. Liability forms must be signed. Lessons cost $10 and include the rental fee. Call 265-4030 for more information.