POTSDAM – The 38th annual Crane Youth Music Concert Series will return with a selection of sounds from the worlds of jazz, folk, music theater and more, starting Monday, June 28, and ending Saturday, July 10 at SUNY Potsdam’s Crane School of Music.
In addition to several performances by talented Crane Youth Music students and SUNY Potsdam faculty, the Potsdam Brass Quintet, the Orchestra of Northern New York, the Susquehanna String Band and the All-Star Big Band will all return to the stage again this year.
The Potsdam Brass Quintet, the brass quintet-in-residence at the Crane School of Music, will kick off the musical celebration at 7 p.m. on Monday, June 28 in the Sara M. Snell Music Theater. The concert is free.
Crane faculty members Hannah Gruber, an assistant professor of piano, and Kathryn Koscho, an assistant professor of piano pedagogy, will present a concert at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 29 in Snell Theater.
The Orchestra of Northern New York will perform at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, June 30 in the Helen M. Hosmer Concert Hall. The concert, “Summer Pops: Broadway by Demand,” will celebrate Independence Day while highlighting great show tunes from the Broadway stage. Pieces from “West Side Story,” “The King and I,” “The Phantom of the Opera” and “Les Miserables” will be presented alongside such Americana classics as “Stars and Stripes Forever” and “Armed Forces Salute.” To purchase tickets, contact the ONNY Box Office at (315) 267-3251 or visit www.onny.org.
The All-Star Big Band, with special guest clarinetist Ken Peplowski, is scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. on Friday, July 2 in Snell Theater. Tickets for the show are $5 and will be available at the door.
The Susquehanna String Band will present a concert at 7 p.m. on Monday, July 5 in Hosmer Hall. Tickets for the show are $5 and will be available at the door.
The remaining concerts are free and open to the public. Performances include:
• The CYM Counselor Recital, at 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 1 in Snell Theater
• The CYM Wind Ensemble and Orchestra, at 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 3 in Hosmer Hall
• The CYM Faculty Showcase Recital, at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, July 6 in Snell Theater
• The CYM Like Ensembles, at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, July 7 in Snell Theater
• The CYM Student Soloists Honors Recital, at 7 p.m. on Thursday, July 8 in Snell Theater
• The CYM String Chamber Ensembles, at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, July 9 in Snell Theater
• The CYM Chamber Choirs and Jazz Ensemble, at 7 p.m. on Friday, July 9 in Hosmer Hall
• The CYM Harp and Piano Recital, at 10 a.m. on Saturday, July 10 in Snell Theater
• The CYM Final Concert, at 1 p.m. on Saturday, July 10 in Hosmer Hall
More than 325 students attend Crane Youth Music, one of the finest summer programs for young musicians ages 12 through 18 in the Northeast. The Crane Youth Music staff includes Crane faculty members, as well as guest artists and teachers from across the United States and Canada.
For more information, contact Dr. Julianne Kirk, director of Crane Youth Music, at 267-2419 or email@example.com.