Starting May 19, the Ogdensburg Parks and Recreation Department is taking registration for 2014 summer sports camps. Sign-ups are at the Dobisky Visitor’s Center, 100 Riverside Ave., Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The first 300 youth to sign up will receive a free T-shirt.
All youth must sign nup at the Dobisky Visitor’s Center before they can participate.
There are two deals available. Those signing up for three camps, including swimming, can do so for $60, a $15 discount.
A swimming special for $30 includes swimming lessons, at a regular cost of $25, and a season swimming pass, costing $10, a $5 discount.
Info: http://www.ogdensburg.org/civicalerts.aspx?AID=171 or 393-1980.
• Track: OFA track Coach John Tebo will conduct the 15th Track Camp for boys and girls in grades 2 through 7 at the OFA track from June 30 to July 4 from 9 to 11 a.m. Activities include high and long jump, shot put, discus, hurdles and relays. Fee is $25.
• Girls and boys basketball: The annual Boys’ and Girls’ Basketball Camp for grades K through 8 at OFA will be July 21 to 25 from 9 to 11 a.m. Skill development will be stressed, including fundamentals in passing, dribbling and shooting. Intramural games will be held. Fee is $25.
• Football: The camp will run from July 14 to 18 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. for youth ages 6 to 16 at Montroy Park. The camp will include daily warm-up exercises, non-contact drills, running, ball-handling, carrying, throwing and receiving, blocking and tackling, punting, kicking and field instruction. All campers will be instructed in flexibility, quickness and agility conditioning. Cost is $25 per session.
• Cheerleading: Jackie Pinkerton will conduct the 16th Cheerleading Camp for girls ages 4 to 12. Ages 4 to 7 will go from July 14 to 18. Ages 8 to 12 will participate July 28 to Aug. 1. Both sessions will be from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Lockwood Arena. Fee is $25.
• Gymnastics: Jackie Pinkerton will conduct gymnastics for boys and girls, ages 4 to 12, at Kennedy Elementary School from July 21 to 25. Ages 4 to 6 will go from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and ages 7 to 12 will run from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Activities include pommel horse, uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise. The fee is $25.
• Hockey: OFA varsity hockey Coach Jon Frederick will direct an off-ice hockey camp at the Richard G. Lockwood Civic Center for youths 6 to 12 on Aug. 4 to 8 from 9 to 11 a.m. Camp will include off-ice training, conditioning, shooting, face-offs and small games. There will be contests for most accurate shooter, fastest stick-handler and obstacle course. Cost is $25.
• Soccer: Recreation staff will offer instruction in all phases of this sport at Montroy Park. Boys and girls ages 4 to 15 can enhance skills through small group instruction and intramural games. The first session for ages 4 to 7 will go from June 30 to July 4 from 9 to 11 a.m. The second session for ages 8 to 15 will run July 7 to 11 from 1 to 3 p.m. Cost is $25.
• Baseball and softball: OFA Coach Tom Pinkerton and staff will conduct the baseball/softball camp for boys and girls ages 6 to 12 from June 30 to July 4 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Montroy Park. The camp will stress hitting, fielding and pitching skills for both baseball and softball. Intramural games will be held daily. The fee is $25.
• Boys and girls lacrosse: Our 9th camp for boys and girls ages 6 to 15 will skills including passing, catching, attack, defense and goaltending. Those participating lacrosse sticks, gloves and helmets. Held at Montroy Park from July 14 to 18 from 9 to 11 a.m. Fee is $25.
• Wrestling: Wrestling Technique Camp will include daily warm ups and conditioning exercises, escapes, reversals, takedowns and pinning combinations. There will be a mini-tournament on Friday. No wrestling experience necessary. The camp promotes self–esteem and good sportsmanship. Instructors are Ricky Ledwith and staff. The camp is for ages 5 to 18 from July 28 to Aug. 1 at the Lockwood Arena from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Fee is $25.
• Volleyball: For children entering grades 3 to 9. Will work on basic skills, passing, serving, setting and spiking. The children will also learn the positions on the court and the rules of the game. The camp will run July 7 to 11 from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Lockwood Arena. Fee is $25.
• Swimming lessons: Offered for all skill levels at the Elsa M. Luksich Municipal Pool. The instructors are fully certified and will offer the standard Red Cross Program. Each child will be placed in a half-hour time slot determined on the testing days. The lessons are for children ages 4 to 14 and will be held Monday through Friday from 8 to 11:30 a.m. Testing and group assignments will be held June 26 and 27. Lessons will be held from June 30 to Aug. 1. Fee is $25.
• Swimming for infants and toddlers: To acquaint infants and toddlers ages 6 months to 4 years with the water and as an introduction to the pre-school aquatics programs. Its goal is to make the children comfortable in and around water and introduce some safety skills. The swimming companion will learn holds and techniques to help the child get acclimated to the pool. There will be two swim instructors conducting classes and helping all the participants. A parent, guardian, babysitter or responsible adult must be willing to accompany child in the water. The swim will be Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to noon July 3 to 26 at the municipal pool. Fee is $12.