POTSDAM – The library’s Cleveland Computer Center, 2 Park St., is offering a new schedule of classes in May and June.
New classes are added frequently. Check the library website, www.potsdamlibrary.org, or local media for updates.
Most classes are free unless noted otherwise, but registration is required by calling 315-265-7230.
The following courses are offered:
• May 16, 17 and 18; and May 30 and 31, June 1; 5:30-7:55 p.m., QuickBooks Basics -- This 3-session classes cover the basics of company set up, customer set up & billing, vendor set up and paying bills, overview of payroll set up, bank reconciliation & generating reports. Class fee of $75 covers all 3 sessions. Payment must be received on or before May 8 to reserve a seat in class.
• May 22, 6-7:30 p.m., Spanish Conversation -- This class will use news, conversations and other materials from the internet as a starting point to facilitate an informal conversational exchange among participants. To enjoy the class fully, you should have reached intermediate level Spanish in a classroom setting or have some experience speaking Spanish. Meet other Spanish speakers and have fun.
• May 18 and 25, June 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29, 10:30-noon, English as a Second Language conversation group -- Every Thursday morning, join a group of people learning to speak English as their second (or third) language, as they improve listening skills by using online audio and video sources. The class uses You Tube, podcasts and other sites to listen to different accents and speeds, and conversation will help us have fun while improving fluency and confidence. This is a no stress, comfortable environment; learners at all levels are welcome.
• May 25 and June 25, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Introduction to Microsoft Word -- Participants will learn the skills needed to construct a document using Microsoft Word. The most useful components of the “Word” program will be discussed, including font style, color and size, setting margins, page orientation, line and paragraph spacing and shortcuts to bold, italic and underlined type. Class will be taught using Windows 10/office suite 2010. Participants should be comfortable using a mouse and the keyboard.
• June 5, 1:30-3 p.m., Storing and Sharing Photos Online -- Are you running out of storage space on your computer? Do you want to back up your photos? Would you like an easy way to share your pictures. This class will show how to do all of this using websites such as Flickr, Photobucket, Amazon Prime and Dropbox.
• June 7, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Introduction to Computers -- Class introduces participants to the basics of PC computers. Covers creation of files and folders, how and where to save them, how to copy from one document to another. Class will be taught using Windows 10/office suite 2010. Participants should be comfortable with handling a mouse and keyboard.
• June 19, 1:30-3 p.m., Using Family Search to Find Your Ancestors -- Family Search is a free website with extensive genealogical resources. The class will provide an introduction to the site and an opportunity to practice using it. Bring as much information as possible on the ancestors you would like to learn about. Newcomers and those with experience in doing genealogical research all welcome.
• June 28, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Excel Basics -- Will explore the various formatting tools necessary to create basic spreadsheet. Topics discussed: setting up spreadsheet, using basic formulas, and printing in Excel. Perfect class for a beginner or someone who needs a refresher. Need to be comfortable using keyboard and mouse.