GOUVERNEUR – How creatively can you cook an apple? What's the quality of your vegetables? And is Fido all he should be? Find out the answers to these questions today at the Gouverneur and St. Lawrence County Fair, while also enjoying the opening midway and a variety of agricultural and livestock exhibitions through Sunday, Aug. 8 at the Barney Street fairgrounds.
Admission to the fairgrounds is free, however, admission to special events each day have ticket fees. See each day below for the various fees. Parking inside the gate is $3, and season parking is $12.
Advanced sale tickets and ride tickets are now available. Once again, wristband days will be offered so that those who enjoy the rides on the midway can ride all day for one price.
Free shows will be offered daily on the midway and will include: Doc Swan’s Magical Comedy Show, the Wild Animal Experience Petting Zoo; and the First Bite Fishing tank.
• Tuesday, Aug. 3: 9 a.m. - all animals in place, Poultry Show (sheep barn); 11 a.m. - Produced in NY & creative apple recipe contest; noon - Harness Racing (Grandstand); 1 p.m. - 4-H Goat Show (Sheep Building); 1 p.m. - Dairy Cow Clipping Contest (Show Ring); 1 p.m. - Vegetable Judging (under grandstand); 3 p.m. - 4-H Sheep Fitting; 4 p.m. – rides open; 5 p.m. - 4-H Dog Show (Dairy Ring); 5:30 p.m. - Bicycle Drawing (must be present to win, drawing takes place daily) 7:00 p.m. - Talent Show (Grandstand) ($5).
• Wednesday, Aug. 4: 9 a.m. - 4-H English Horse Show (horse ring), 4-H Beef Show (show ring); 10 a.m. - 4-H & Open sheep show (all breeds); 11 a.m. – Beef Show (Show Ring); noon - 4-H Horse Judging (Show Ring), First Flower Show (under grandstand); 1 p.m. - rides open daily; 1:30 p.m. - High School Band's Parade; 2:30 p.m. - Carlton Peck Awards; 3 p.m. - 4-H/FFA Dairy Cattle Judging (Show Ring); 7 p.m. - Firemen's Parade - (Grandstand) (free).
• Thursday, Aug. 5: 9:00 a.m. - 4-H Western Horse Show (horse ring), 4-H Holstein Guernsey & Milking Shorthorns Show, Holstein Guernsey & Milking Shorthorns; 1 p.m. - Wool Fleece Judging (sheep barn); 2 p.m. & 7 p.m. - Smudge Fundaes children’s show, 12 & under $2, over 12, $3.
Friday, Aug. 6: 9 a.m. - Ayrshire, Brown Swiss & Jersey Cattle Show, 4-H Gymkhana Horse Show (horse ring); noon - Second Flower Show (under grandstand); 7:30 p.m. – monster truck show ($10).
• Saturday, Aug. 7: 9 a.m.- black & white show; 10 a.m.- draft horse show; 11 a.m.- 4-H clothing revue (youth building); 11 a.m.- ATV drag races & time trials ($5); 11:45 a.m. - mannequin modeling (youth building); 5 p.m.- local rock bands ($5).
• Sunday, Aug. 8: 8 a.m.- church services (in show ring); 9 a.m.- open horse show (show arena); 3 p.m.- release of animals & exhibits; 3 p.m.- demolition derby (grandstand) ($10).
For more information, visit www.gouverneurfair.net.