'Met: Live' opens 13th season of live opera broadcasts Saturday at Potsdam's Roxy Theater with 'Aida'
POTSDAM -- From classic to contemporary, the 13th season of The Met: Live in HD will bring 10 exciting productions from the Metropolitan Opera to the movie screen in Potsdam again in 2018-19.
Sponsored by SUNY Potsdam's Crane School of Music and J.S. Cinemas, the 2018-19 Live in HD season features 10 transmissions, offering a significant portion of the Met season to opera lovers around the world.The season will open on Saturday, Oct. 6, with Giuseppe Verdi's tragedy set in ancient Egypt, "Aida," starring Anna Netrebko in her Met role debut.
All performances will be screened at the Roxy Theater, in downtown Potsdam.
Robotic cameras, strategically placed around and behind the stage, capture the beauty and power of live performance from striking angles, and heighten attention to both performance and production.
Intermission features and English subtitles will once again bring the stories to life.
Among the many stunning performances, local audiences will recognize SUNY Potsdam alumna Stephanie Blythe '93 as she takes the stage in "La Fille du Régiment" on March 2, as the outlandish Marquise of Berkenfield.
All productions will be shown live worldwide on Saturdays. There will also be encore presentations offered on Sundays locally.
The 2018-19 The Met: Live in HD season schedule is as follows:
• Verdi's "Aida": Live on Oct. 6 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Oct. 14 at 6:30 p.m.
• Saint-Saëns' "Samson et Dalila": Live on Oct. 20 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Oct. 28 at 6:30 p.m.
• Puccini's "La Fanciulla del West": Live on Oct. 27 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Nov. 4 at 6:30 p.m.
• Muhly's "Marnie": Live on Nov. 10 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Nov. 18 at 6:30 p.m.
• Verdi's "La Traviata": Live on Dec. 15 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Jan. 27, 2019, at 6:30 p.m.
• Cilea's "Adriana Lecouvreur": Live on Jan. 12 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Feb. 3 at 6:30 p.m.
• Bizet's "Carmen": Live on Feb. 2 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on Feb. 10 at 6:30 p.m.
• Donizetti's "La Fille du Régiment": Live on March 2 at 12:55 p.m., with an encore screening on March 24 at 6:30 p.m.
• Wagner's "Die Walküre": Live on March 30 at noon, with an encore screening on April 14 at 6 p.m.
• Poulenc's "Dialogues des Carmélites": Live on May 11 at noon, with an encore screening on May 12 at 6:30 p.m.
Ticket prices: $18 for an adult, $15 for senior citizens, $12 for students and $9 for youth age 18 and under. Discounts are available for groups of 10 people or more.
Tickets are available by calling the Community Performance Series Box Office at 315-267-2277, by visiting the Roxy Theater in downtown Potsdam or stopping by the CPS Box Office in the lobby of SUNY Potsdam's Performing Arts Center.
You can also reserve tickets at Brick & Mortar Music in downtown Potsdam.
Reserve tickets online, at www.cpspotsdam.org.
For more information on the 2018-19 season of The Met: Live in HD, visit the Metropolitan Opera website at www.metopera.org/hdlive.