Hospice and Palliative Care of St. Lawrence Valley offering free volunteer training programs March 18 through April 30
Hospice and Palliative Care of St. Lawrence Valley will offer free volunteer training programs in Edwards and Potsdam.
Anyone interested in becoming a patient care volunteer must complete the training program.The training will cover the hospice concept, stress management, patient spirituality, bereavement and grief, the medical aspects of dying, patient safety and the ethics of caring for the dying.
“The Hospice Journey - A Guide for Those Who Help at the End of Life” will be available for $10.
“Volunteers are always needed and hospice has increasing opportunities for caring people who can volunteer, particularly on weekdays,” said Jennifer Brailsford, volunteer coordinator.
While most Hospice patients live in private homes, others live in nursing homes or are patients in St. Lawrence County hospitals. “Each volunteer decides what geographic area he or she would like to serve, how much time to give and whether to accept a particular assignment. Volunteer choices are always respected,” said Brailsford.
Registration is required at 265-3105.
The Edwards training series will be held at the Hepburn Library, 205 Main St. The Edwards training dates will be:
• Monday, March 18 from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, March 19 from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, March 20 from 9 a.m. to noon
• Thursday, March 21 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
• Friday, March 22 from 9 a.m. to noon
The Potsdam training series will be held at the hospice building, 6805 U.S. Hwy 11. The Potsdam training dates will be:
• Monday, April 15 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, April 16 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, April 17 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Thursday, April 18 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Monday, April 22 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, April 23 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, April 24 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Thursday, April 25 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Monday, April 29 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, April 30 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.