MASSENA -- The New York Power Authority (NYPA) will continue its free “Friday Matinees” with showings of contemporary movies at the admission-free Hawkins Point Visitors Center at the St. Lawrence-Franklin D. Roosevelt Hydroelectric Power Plant. NYPA will show a selection of movies 1:30 p.m. in the visitor’s center auditorium with free popcorn available..
The August schedule is:
• Aug. 2: “42,” (2013). The life story of Jackie Robinson and his history-making signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers under the guidance of team executive Branch Rickey.
• Aug. 9: “Admission,” (2013). A Princeton admissions officer who is up for a major promotion takes a professional risk after she meets a college-bound alternative school student.
• Aug. 16: “Ladies in Lavender,” (2004). Two sisters befriend a mysterious foreigner who washes up on the beach of their 1930's Cornish seaside village.
• Aug. 23: “Quartet,” (2012). At a home for retired musicians, the annual concert to celebrate Verdi's birthday is disrupted by the arrival of Jean, an eternal diva and the former wife of one of the residents.
• Aug. 30: “The Impossible,” (2012). The story of a tourist family in Thailand caught in the destruction and chaotic aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
In addition to the Friday Matinee program, NYPA will sponsor the “Beat The Heat” summer movie series, featuring back-to-back family films every Tuesday at 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. For information call the visitors center at 764-0226 ext. 302 or visit NYPA on the Web at www.nypa.gov.