Cooperative Extension of St. Lawrence County offers classes during winter break at Canton Learning Farm
CANTON -- The Cornell Cooperative Extension of St. Lawrence County will offer a series of classes during winter break at the learning farm.
Class offerings include:• Tuesday, Feb. 19, 10 a.m. to noon: build and decorate an ornamental birdhouse while learning facts about birds; interactive games and discussions; ages 5 and up; $5.
• Tuesday, Feb. 19 1 to 3 p.m.: students will examine basic survival needs and learn what to do if lost in the woods; build a shelter, fire, purify water; dress for the outdoors; $5.
• Wednesday, Feb. 20, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.: tour the farm’s maple sugar bush, learn tubing and tapping; learn history of maple industry, taste sweet treats; all ages with parental supervision, bring bag lunch; $5.
• Thursday, Feb. 21, 10 a.m. to noon: learn basic animal signs and sounds, snowshoeing; explore the woods searching for evidence of wildlife; $5.
• Thursday, Feb. 21, 1 to 3 p.m.: calf care from birth to weaning to show day; feeding, nutrition; dairy workshop; instruction by Kim Morrill, dairy specialist; ages 5 and up; $5.
• Friday, Feb. 22, 10 a.m. to noon: public presentation clinic: 4-H life skills program; Judy Boyer, 4-H club leader to instruct; build a presentation, use visual aids, tips, rules to upcoming 4-H Public Presentation Program; ages 5 and up; free.
Bag lunches are encouraged for children taking both morning and afternoon sessions.
To register or arrange for special needs contact 379-9192.