OGDENSBURG -- The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary is offering the certified “About Boating Safely” course at several regional locations.
This course is required in New York State for anyone 14 years old and older who operates a personal watercraft (i.e. jet ski).
This course is also required for young adults ages 10-18 to operate a boat alone, and anyone, born on or after May 1, 1996, to operate a motorized boat unsupervised.
Classes are taught by local Auxiliary members who have years of experience teaching boating safety and interacting with students.
Students will be able to see and check out various safety equipment items and will receive the course text book and Federal and State rule books to keep as references.
The “About Boating Safely” certificate and card is valid in New York State and all other states, is not mailed, but is awarded at the end of the second night, and is easily replaced if lost or damaged.
Classes during the 2017 boating season will be offered as follows and participants must attend both nights:
• April 18 and 19, Ogdensburg Mall in the United Helpers Mosaic Center, 100 Ford St., 5-9 p.m.
• May 16 and 17, River Bay Adventures, Chippewa Bay, 5-9 p.m.
• June 6 and 7, Ogdensburg Mall in the United Helpers Mosaic Center, 100 Ford St., 5-9 p.m.
• June 27 and 28, Ogdensburg Mall in the United Helpers Mosaic Center, 100 Ford St., 5-9 p.m.
• July 11 and 12 at a site to be determined, Morristown, 5-9 p.m.
• August 15 and 16, Hammond Central School, 5-9 p.m.
• September 19 and 20, Ogdensburg Mall in the United Helpers Mosaic Center, 100 Ford St., 5-9 p.m.
Additional classes of ten or more students can be scheduled by contacting 315-528-0193.
Cost is $35 per person (family plans are available). Participants must pre-register by contacting Gardner Furniture and Flooring at 315-393-6488 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4 p.m.