CANTON – Canton Recreation’s summer activities and trips includes a new amateur sand-sculpting competition and a “police adventure” for young people.
Registration for all summer programs will be at the Canton Pavilion, Lincoln Street, Saturday, June 2.
Canton Central School District residents, including St. Mary’s and Little River School kids and parents, can register from 9 to 10 a.m. District non-residents register from 10 to 11 a.m.
The programs are held at Billmeyer Playground at Canton Central, and in the school itself, 99 State Street; Bend In River Park, Canton Pavilion and Riley Community Room, 90 Lincoln Street; and the Priest Field Tennis Courts, Judson Street.
Taylor Park Community Beach will be open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 13 through Sunday, Aug. 26. Kayak rentals will once again be available daily from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., weather permitting, at $5 for two hours. Information and registration, rental agreement and parent permission forms are online at www.cantonnewyork.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/kayak-projectb.pdf, or at Taylor Park, 386-2581.
The slate of activities includes swimming lessons for kid from tiny tots on up at the Canton Central School pool from July 9 through Aug. 2. Ability levels 1 and 2, no younger than five years old, will swim Mondays and Wednesdays at 8, 9 and 10 a.m. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, levels 3 and 4 swim at 8 a.m., levels 5 and 6 at 9 a.m., and tiny tots, no younger than 4, at 10 a.m. Bring birth certificates to registration. It is $35 for district residents, $45 for non-residents.
There are two summer theater workshops for kids, July 9 to 20 for those entering grades 4 to 7 and July 23 to Aug. 3 for grades 8 to 12, in the high school auditorium at 6 p.m. Fee is $25.
The sand sculpting competition is set for June 16 at Taylor Park. Teams of four sculptors will compete in two age groups, 12 and under, which will compete for free, and 13 and older, for $5. Prizes for first, second and third places will be awarded in each age group and in four sculpture categories: people, animals, and buildings. Registrations are due by June 13 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 386-3992.
The Canton Pee Wee Association are sponsoring a mud fun run on July 11 on Judson Street Road. It will benefit the county fire training facility and the Pee Wees. Registration: email@example.com, 386-8835, 244-6800.
The “police adventure” will be a learning experience for kids 11 to 14, 10 to 11 a.m. July 10 to 13 in the Canton Pavilion. Canton Police Department will stage mock traffic stops and arrests, fingerprinting and more. Cost is $25.
Adventures in Learning, for kids 4 to 9, runs from July 2 to Aug. 3, 8 to 10 a.m. at Billmeyer Playground. Thy will have field trips, show and tell, guest speakers, games and crafts.
Guitar lessons for beginners aged 11 to 14 will be in the Riley Community Room at the Pavilion July 23 to 26 at 6 p.m. Cost is $25. Kids must bring guitars.
A free family story walk is set for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. July 28 at Bend in the River Park. Featured is Dr. Seuss’s “The Lorax.”
The sixth annual Mama Sergi Walk/Run at Partridge Run will be held starting at 9 a.m. July 29. Registration is at 8:30.
A variety of sporting activities are available:
• Adult volleyball games will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays June 19 to Aug. 21.
• Pick-up field lacrosse games for anyone grade 9 and up are at 6:30 p.m. at the high school Tuesdays and Thursdays June 5 to July 26.
• Box lacrosse will be played by people grade 9 and older in a men’s league Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 to 9 p.m. June 25 to July 25 at the Pavilion. Cost is $40.
• A golf clinic for kids 7 to 11 runs from June 25 to 28 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Partridge Run. It costs $25.
• A beginning tennis clinic will be at the SLU tennis courts at 6 p.m. July 16 to 19. $25.
• Beginning tumbling for kids 4 and up runs from July 23 to 26 at Banford School gymnasium. There is a choice of a 6 p.m. or a 7 p.m. class. $25.
• A canoe and kayak clinic will be held at Taylor Park at 5:30 p.m. July 9 to 12. Bring your own craft if you have one. $25.
• Pickleball, played with paddles and wiffle balls, runs every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the Priest Field tennis courts.
And the 6th Annual Canton Chamber of Commerce Community Sale is set for Aug. 11 at the Pavilion. For more information, contact the Chamber office at 386-8255.
For more information on any of these programs, contact Canton Recreation at 386-3992, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Facebook.com/canton-recreation.