With the busy holiday season approaching, the American Red Cross encourages donors to give blood now to help ensure a sufficient supply for patients this winter.
To make an appointment to donate blood, download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
The following Saint Lawrence County blood donation opportunities are scheduled from Nov. 1-15:
• Nov. 2, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Edwards Knox Central School, 2512 County Route 24, and from 3-7 p.m., at Lisbon’s Hepburn Library, 6899 County Route 10;
• Nov. 3, from 11:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Clarkson University ERC, 8 Clarkson Ave., Potsdam;
• Nov. 8, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Canton Central School, 99 State St.
• Nov. 10, 2-7 p.m., Brier Hill Fire Company, 2704 State Highway 37; and from noon-5 p.m., Cellular Sales-Verizon Wireless, 1 1/2 Malby Ave., Massena;
• Nov. 14, noon-5 p.m., Lowe's Home Improvement, 2001 Ford Street Extension, Ogdensburg, and from 12:30-5:30 p.m., Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 21 Castle Dr., Potsdam; and
• Nov. 15, from 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Lisbon Central School, 6866 County Route 10, and from 12:30-5:30 p.m., St Lawrence Centre, 6100 State Route 37, Massena.
All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (16 with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass® to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, from a computer or mobile device. To get started and learn more, visit redcrossblood.org/RapidPass and follow the instructions on the site.
Another way to support the lifesaving mission of the American Red Cross is to become a volunteer transportation specialist and deliver lifesaving blood products to local area hospitals. Volunteer transportation specialists play a very important role in ensuring an ample blood supply for patients in need by transporting blood and blood products.
For more information and to apply for a volunteer transportation specialist position, visit rdcrss.org/driver.