ADK Laurentian Chapter sets events and outings schedule through June
The Laurentian Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) has announced its schedule of outings and events through June.
The club welcomes the public to take part in these events. If you have questions about or want to go on a particular event, contact the leader or organizer for that event. If you have questions about the overall program or about the ADK, contact Marianne Hebert at 315-265-0756 or [email protected].Spring events are:
• Sunday, April 8, Spring Pot Luck. Bring a dish to share and your own tableware. First Presbyterian Church, Potsdam. Arrive at 5 p.m. for supper at 5:30 p.m.. Guest speaker is Brian Hoody, president of the Adirondack 46ers, on what the 46ers are doing to help manage the rapidly growing demand for hiking in the High Peaks. Contact John Barron, 613-828-2296 or [email protected].
• Saturday, April 21: Landon Bay. Easy hike in Canada's Thousand Islands National Park. 5 miles, easy. Contact John Barron, 613-828-2296 or [email protected].
• Saturday, April 28: Everton Falls Cleanup. Meet at 28 Port Kent Road, Nicholville at 10 a.m. or at the canoe launch parking on the Red Tavern Road at 10:30 a.m. Canoeing if water levels are safe. Trash bags provided. Contact Duncan Cutter 315-328-4675, or [email protected].
• Sunday, April 29: Tooley Pond Road Waterfalls. Visit multiple waterfalls during spring runoff for astounding views and photos. A total 2-3 miles of walking split over several trails. Contact Blair Madore 315-261-0751 or [email protected] for details.
• Saturday, May 5: Bicycle Trip Canton to Upper and Lower Lakes Bird Conservation Area. This is a 20-mile ride, with multiple stops to view the Grasse River, Indian Creek Nature Center, and the conservation area to look for birds, wildflowers, etc. Contact Tom Ortmeyer, 315-244-3707, [email protected].
• Saturday, May 19: Cycling in Ottawa. The Tulip Festival will be in progress. Very slow speed with many scenic stops along the Ottawa River, the Rideau Canal, and Dow's Lake. 25 miles, moderate. Contact John Barron. 613-828-2296 or [email protected].
• Saturday, May 26: Hike to Haystack of Ray Brook. One of the Saranac 6. Good views of the High Peaks. Pace slow. 6.6 miles, 1,200 feet of gain. Contact John Barron, (613) 828-2296 or [email protected],
• Saturday, June 2 Hike around Massawepie Lake Approximately 6 miles, moderate. We will traverse dramatic eskers and visit the source of the Grasse River. Contact Marianne Hebert at 315-265-0756 or [email protected].
• Saturday, June 23: Paddle/Sail Carry Falls Reservoir (Canoes only) We’ll paddle from Jamestown Falls north to the Carry Falls Dam (about 5 miles). We’ll bring tarps/ropes and poles to rig temporary sails if wind conditions permit. Contact Blair Madore 315-261-0751 or [email protected] for details.
• Sunday, June 24: Hike to OK Slip Falls, one of the highest waterfalls in the Adirondacks, located a bit beyond Indian Lake. 6.8 miles round trip, moderate. Contact Tom Ortmeyer, 315-244-3707, [email protected] for details.