ADK Club hosting outings around the North Country in July, August, September
The Laurentian Chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) welcomes the public to take part in these events. If you've questions about or want to go on a particular event, contact the leader/organizer for that event. If you've questions about the overall program or about the ADK, contact Marianne Hebert at 315-265-0756 or [email protected].
• Sat. Jul 14: Paddling in Newcomb. Lake Harris, Rich Lake, and the headwaters of the Hudson River. Several possible points of interest including Great Camp Santanoni Gatehouse Complex and SUNY ESF Adirondack Interpretive Center. Boat rentals available. Easy. Contact John Barron, (613) 828-2296 or [email protected].• Wed. Jul 18: Evening paddle in Madrid. We'll meet at 5pm for an evening paddle upstream from the Municipal park in Madrid. Rental kayaks may be available. Easy. Contact Tom Ortmeyer, 315-244-3707, [email protected] for details.
• Sat. Aug 4: Silver Lake Mountain and Bog. Silver Lake Mountain is an easy “Kids on the Trail” hike, about 2 miles RT and 700ft elevation gain. The nearby bog includes a boardwalk though a variety of habitats and a trail to a 200 foot bluff overlooking Silver Lake, 2.5 miles RT, 200 foot elevation gain. Option to do either or both legs. Contact Marianne Hebert [email protected] or 315 265-0756.
• Sat. Aug. 18: Grass River Red Trail Hike. We will explore the proposed red trail in the Grass River Wild Forest downstream from Lampson Falls. 6-9 miles. Bushwhacking. Contact Tom Ortmeyer, 315-244-3707, [email protected] for details
• Sat. Aug 25: Hike Stone Valley. The trail follows the shore of the Raquette River, offering a unique variety of rapids, waterfalls, woodlands and geological features. 3 miles round trip, easy. Contact Kate: [email protected] (720) 237-5059; or Marianne Hebert: [email protected]otsdam.edu, (315) 265-0756.
• Sun. Aug 26: Gourmet Pot Luck Picnic Paddle. Meet at the boat launch on the south end of Blake Reservoir at 5 PM for the pleasant paddle to Blake Campsite’s lovely beach. Contact Dick Mooers, 315-854-4186 or [email protected].
• Sat. Sep 8: Castle Rock. Easy hike to a spectacular high viewpoint over Blue Mountain Lake. A Kids on the Trail destination, and children are welcome. 4 miles RT, 700 ft of gain. Contact John Barron, (613) 828-2296 or [email protected].
• Sat. Sep 15: Portage and Paddle Boreas Ponds. Boreas Ponds has a fabulous view of the southeast sides of Allen, Skylight, Marcy, Haystack and other peaks. 7 mile round-trip walk (cart recommended) on Gulf Brook Road to the Ponds. Contact Dick Mooers, 315-854-4186 or [email protected].
• Sat. Sep 22: Debar Mountain. 7.4 miles roundtrip and more than 1700 feet of elevation gain. This is a Kids on the Trail hike and we will take a moderate pace suitable for kids and their parents. Awesome views. Possibilities for swimming or camping. Call Blair Madore 315 261 0751 or email [email protected].