Public meeting on use of $200,000 in state renovation funds on Wednesday in Potsdam
Tuesday, July 8, 2014 - 2:32 pm

POTSDAM -- How to use $200,000 from the state for renovating downtown buildings is the subject of a public meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday, July 9 in the Civic Center Community Room.

The funds, from the New York Main Street program, will be used to improve exiting mixed-use and commercial buildings within a defined target area downtown.

Owners of those properties could qualify for for grants of up to $50,000 or 75 percent of eligible renovation costs. The owners must pay for the remaining 25 percent.

As part of the program, the village will provide new wayfinding signs, bicycle racks, and the planting of trees using grant funds.

At the meeting, staff from the Potsdam Planning and Development Office will explain details of what building owners should know, such as eligibility, financial assistance, the kinds of work covered by the program, and how to apply.

Applications are available at www.vi.potsdam.ny.us, by calling 265-1670, and at the meeting.

The office begins accepting applications on July 10, and will continue keeping them until all the funds are committed.