POTSDAM -- The Potsdam Hospital Guild recently donated to the Canton-Potsdam Hospital Foundation.
It totaled $51,000, including a $15,000 payment on its pledge for the Hospital’s Center for Cancer Care, $17,500 to purchase new Lifeline units, $12,500 towards automated breast ultrasound imaging equipment and $6,000 for various hospital departments and projects.
The Guild also gave $1,000 for a scholarship at SUNY Canton.
The Potsdam Guild is an all-volunteer group founded in 1933. They originally formed to sew bandages and bed sheets for the hospital and evolved into a fund-raising and community outreach organization.
Eighteen board members and dozens of volunteers donate thousands of hours in fundraising for the hospital. Guild members also assist at blood drives and hospital events.
Guild volunteers operate the CPH gift shop, with all proceeds benefiting the hospital.
They also raise funds through book and uniform sales and from community events including a garden tour, trivia night, Zumbathon, garage sale and golf tournament coordinated by both the Potsdam and E.J. Noble guilds.
At its recent annual meeting, the guild elected officers including president Deany Wood, vice president Laurie Cappello, secretary Kim Jones and treasurer Mary Jane Smalling.