Potsdam Chamber seeks participants for Sandstone Festival park celebration Sept. 15-19
POTSDAM -- The Potsdam Chamber of Commerce is asking members to help the Potsdam Pubic Museum round out the schedule for the second Sandstone Festival Sept. 15 to 19.
The museum has planned some great walking tours of Potsdam’s sandstone buildings, churches, and Bayside Cemetery, and of the Sandstone Trail accompanied by a geologist. They also have some demonstrations and presentations planned.The chamber is organizing a Sandstone Celebration in Fall Island Park on Saturday, Sept. 18 from noon to 4 pm., and is asking members to become involved with the Sandstone Celebration piece or in some other way, as it is a great historical celebration of Potsdam.
The chamber and museum have some suggestions of how members can contribute, but they emphasize that the list is just a starting point. Some of their ideas are:
• a fundraising event or happy hour at your location with a local music act and perhaps a 50/50 raffle to raise funds for local historic preservation
• a sidewalk sale or a special indoor sale
• a special sandstone named or inspired drink, sandwich, sundae, or treat
• a booth in Fall Island Park (call chamber for more info)
• a music performance in Fall Island Park (call chamber for more info.)
• games and activities for kids in Fall Island Park (call chamber for more info.)
• coupons to be given out to tour participants for use in your store/restaurant
• special window displays with a sandstone theme.
• a tour of your sandstone building
• donation of services such as a tent, bottled water, poster/sign printing, etc.)
• Volunteer time to help set up events in the park or at the museum
• Set up an “artist in action” in Fall Island Park to demonstrate painting, sketching, pottery, etc.
You can call Marylee at the chamber, 274-9000, with help for your idea or one of the suggestions above.
Contact Mimi VanDeusen at the museum, 265-6910, or Marylee at the chamber for more information or to let them know how you want to be involved.