The Northern New York Community Foundation approved thousands of dollars in grants for St. Lawrence County organizations from the Potsdam Youth and Watertown High School philanthropy councils.
Potsdam Youth Philanthropy Council grants include:
• Potsdam Humane Society - $2,500 for construction of a community dog park.
• GardenShare - $1,500 to the CSA Bonus Bucks program, assisting low-income households with healthy local food options.
• Hospice & Palliative Care of St. Lawrence Valley - $1,500 for social work consultations and follow-ups.
• St. Lawrence NYSARC - $1,250 to purchase appliances and/or furniture for the organization’s “Transitions Program.”
• Jefferson Elementary School, Massena - $1,000 to buy books and expand offerings for the “Books on Wheels” program for grade-school students in the Massena Central School District.
• Literacy of Northern New York - $970 assist with funding to purchase books that will prepare students of all ages for the new high school equivalency test.
• Frederic Remington Art Museum - $750 to update equipment and materials as part of the organization’s interactive children’s museum, “Kid’s Place.”
• St. Lawrence County Arts Council - $530 to provide support for the council’s St. Lawrence County Arts Festival.
The foundation board also approved St. Lawrence County grants from its unrestricted endowment:
• North Country Children’s Museum (Potsdam) - $22,500 for two grants, $10,000 for the Sound Experience prototype for the museum. $12,500 is part of a match challenge to the organization to build an NNYCF endowment fund to support the museum.
• Gracious Friends Animal Sanctuary (Heuvelton) – up to $5,000 in to assist with the development of an organizational strategic and development sustainability plan.
• St. James School (Gouverneur) - $5,000 to support community playground renovations. This is made possible through the A. Eleanor Jackson Fund for Gouverneur.
Watertown High School Philanthropy Council grants include:
• Gouverneur Breast Cancer Fund - $1,000 for supplies included in the organization’s informational bags provided to clients.
• Orchestra of Northern New York (Potsdam) - $15,000 in support of their 2014-15 Watertown concert season.